PDA

View Full Version : Finding out if my top pair is good.....

JARID
03-19-2004, 07:28 PM
4-8 at Ocean's 11. There was one really good player and everybody else was pretty poor.
I am in the SB and get dealt k9 /images/graemlins/club.gif. Early player limps, good player in late position limps, I complete the small blind and BB checks. 4 to a flop of

9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif5 /images/graemlins/club.gif2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

I bet out, BB calls, EP calls and good player raises(oh yeah, thats why I stopped playing K9). Ok, so much for my theory. Action is back to me, it definately would have been raised pre-flop if he had 10-10 or above, so I rule out the overpair. I am thinking he is on the flush draw or he has a set and is raising to protect against the flush draw.

I call the raise, turn card was a blank and I bet out on the turn planning fold to a raise, otherwise I will narrow it down to the draw.

Thoughts-
~J

sthief09
03-19-2004, 07:56 PM
The only reason to raise here is to get more money in the pot. He could have a set, but it's more likely that he's got a flush draw here, and you should 3-bet. Now, you are forcing the other 2 players to call 2 bets cold. This will give them insufficient odds to call with bottom or middle pair, or with overcards. It's really difficult to get any information here, because your opponent would do virtually the same thing on the flop whether he has a draw or a set. But it's much more likely that he has a flush draw, so play it that way until he proves otherwise.

lil'
03-20-2004, 12:53 AM
3 bet the flop. You probably have the best hand. I wouldn't worry about a set at this point.

Styles
03-20-2004, 09:53 AM
Is my reading of this right. You don't consider A9 a possibility? I guess I'm lost, again. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

If I had A9 I'd raise you there. Especially with the flush on the board. I'm thinking you have it, you're thinking I have it.

I love those hands.

tripdad
03-20-2004, 05:41 PM
9-10 is just as valid a possibility as A-9. re-raise the flop. if he caps, call him down, depending of course on other two cards.

cheers!

bernie
03-21-2004, 02:14 PM
Id have 3 bet, then led the turn. Why let him off for 1 sb if he's drawing?

b

Mike Gallo
03-21-2004, 04:27 PM
When you say good how do you mean this? Do you mean a thinking player? Then he will raise to knock you off your hand if he thinks you respect him.

I do not agree with betting the turn and folding to a raise. If you did that, he will steal from you with impunity.

Sometimes you have to pay to see your beat. You will see that your money went to good use.