PDA

View Full Version : Straight Flush - But I think I played it wrong

DVDerek
03-19-2004, 04:50 PM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (10 handed) converter (http://www.stompandcrush.com/cgi-bin/hhparser.cgi)

MP3 (t800)
CO (t790)
Button (t300)
Hero (t885)
BB (t800)
UTG (t1225)
UTG+1 (t800)
UTG+2 (t800)
MP1 (t800)
MP2 (t800)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls t15, UTG+1 calls t15, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO calls t15, Button folds, Hero completes, BB checks.

My Thoughts: Unsuited Connectors. Sure, I'll see the flop for 5.

Flop: (t75) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets t75</font>, BB calls t75, UTG folds, UTG+1 calls t75, CO calls t75.

My Thoughts: It's very early, but I've established myself as a decent player, I think. I've got an open ended straight draw and mid pair. I'll make a pot sized bet and drive them out.

Turn: (t375) 8/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets t375</font>, <font color="CC3333">BB raises to t710 (All-In)</font>, UTG+1 folds, CO calls t700 (All-In), Hero calls t335.

My Thoughts: I've got the straight. I have one miracle card that improves me. Pot sized bet to drive out the flush draws. When I get re-raised, I'm thinking he has the straight as well (I've played him before and I have a good read). I could back into the flush, so I'll call. The other call was unexpected. This is where I messed up. I didn't give enough thought to the possibility of him having a flush. I talk myself into calling because I can't lay down a straight... and a shot at my first ever straight flush.

River: (t2495) 5/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players, 2 all-in)</font>

My Thoughts: My miracle card hits. I got lucky.

Final Pot: t2495
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: t2475 (t2475), between CO, Hero and BB.</font>
<font color="#990066">Pot 2: t20 (t20), between Hero and BB.</font>

Results: <font color="blue">
Hero shows 5h 6c (straight flush, eight high).
BB shows Ad 5d (straight, eight hight).
CO shows 9c Tc (flush, ten high).
Outcome: Hero wins t2495. </font>

I think I'd feel a lot worse about inflicting this bad beat if the guy had the nut flush (or even a good one). My thoughts are that he thought I had the flush, but was drawing at his own Straight Flush. How would you have played this hand? Should I have bet more post flop? Folded to the re-raise? I know it worked out great and I'm glad to have my first Straight flush! (I came a Js shot of a royal flush 10 hands later and lost the nut flush to a full house)

talkinghead
03-21-2004, 09:27 AM
would have called the all-in, but not the all-in and the call, saved my last 300ish chips. Looks like you know you made a bad call though, don't make a habit of it, tournaments can be won from a short stack but not from the rail.

Tosh
03-21-2004, 11:55 AM
The turn is a mixed blessing. You got 3 callers, I think a flush draw is quite likely. I'd bet about 250. Call the all in but when theres an allin and a call I think you have got to know you're beaten and lay it down.