PDA

View Full Version : Table Stakes

DanTheCardMan
03-19-2004, 02:41 PM
What is meant by the term "table stakes?"

PseudoPserious
03-19-2004, 02:45 PM
It means you can't go into your pocket for more money during the play of a hand.

So you can't throw your car in as a raise unless the title was sitting in your stack when the cards were dealt.

PP

DanTheCardMan
03-19-2004, 02:58 PM
Thanks. I've played like that before, just never knew there was a formal name for it.

(And with some of the fishy play I engage in, there's no way my car title would get anywhere near a card game I was involved in. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif )

benfranklin
03-19-2004, 06:28 PM
It also means that no one can raise you more than you have on the table, forcing you out of the game. In heads-up action, a raise is limited to the amount either player has on the table. In a multiway pot, if someone raises $50 and you only have $40, you can put the $40 in, and a side pot is created for the $10 and any additional calls or raises. You cannot win anything in that side pot. If you win the main pot, the next best hand still playing wins the side pot.

hutz
03-20-2004, 12:17 PM
Good point about the side pots. During a hand, it's important to remember when there's an all-in player because you still have to beat his hand at showdown. So, if you're holding a mediocre hand, don't lose track of the fact you have two opponents, not just one, which reduces the value of your middling hand. On a related note, beginners (and vets, too) should always remain aware of the fact that there is a side pot if they're not the all-in player. This can come into play in many respects, including the fact that you should hold onto your cards at showdown because the all-in guy may have the nut flush, but your TPTK might take down the side pot. If you muck too quickly after seeing the all-in player's cards you could lose the side pot. Of course, a good dealer will award the side pot(s) before the main pot to help avoid that situation. We all know, though, that not all dealers are good dealers.

M.B.E.
03-28-2004, 05:22 PM
In a recent column (http://www.cardplayer.com/?sec=afeature&art_id=13566), Bob Ciaffone commented on the table-stakes rule and suggested an amendment that would permit ratholing in some circumstances.

RydenStoompala
03-29-2004, 08:48 AM
Ratholing. Now there's a term we can all be proud of.