PDA

View Full Version : Could I have done anything different?

Bling
03-19-2004, 02:01 PM
Long time reader. I have learned a lot from this site so I thought it was about time to start posting and try to find and eliminate some leaks in my game.

Here are my last 2 big losses I think I played them well, but then again I dont have the experience of the regulars here so tell me what you think.

Pokerstars .25 NLHE 38.60 in my stack
Hand 1) I get A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif A /images/graemlins/heart.gif 2 fold action is on me. I raise to .75 not wanting to drive everyone out. I get 1 cold caller and BB calls also. Flop is 3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif J /images/graemlins/heart.gif 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif . I bet .50 it gets raised to 1.50 BB folds I reraise 1.50 to 3.50 and the guy goes all in for 21.30 more I call and dont get my heart or A he shows 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif and I lose..

Hand 2)I now only have 11.55 and get 6 /images/graemlins/club.gif 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif I limp in EP 4 callers flop is 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif I check hoping that someone will make thier flush draw. Short stack to my left bets 1.50 next player raises to 3 I call, short stack calls all in for his last .75. Turn is A /images/graemlins/spade.gif I check, raiser checks. River is K /images/graemlins/heart.gif I check raiser bets 5 and I checkraise all in. He shows his K /images/graemlins/spade.gif 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif for a bigger full house.

Am I correct to call the guy's all in in hand 1?

Is there any way to avoid losing it all in hand 2 or am I just doomed?

prairieboy
03-19-2004, 02:34 PM
Hand 1: I'm not re-raising on the flop and I'm folding to the $20+ re-re-raise.

Hand 2: Don't limp in EP with 66. Check-raise all-in on the flop or bet the turn.

Bling
03-19-2004, 03:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hand 1: I'm not re-raising on the flop and I'm folding to the $20+ re-re-raise.

Hand 2: Don't limp in EP with 66. Check-raise all-in on the flop or bet the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ok calling the all in may have been questionable, but to me it seemed like he wanted to push me off of MY flush draw and I was drawing to the nut flush which is why I made the call. In hindsight it was a bad move.

Hand 2 I limped because there had not been much preflop raising (except for me) and I was fairly certain i could see a flop for .25 and if it gets raised oh well you get to keep my quarter. I think that had I bet any amount at any point it was getting called by the guy with K8 so the only difference would be that I got my money in while I was ahead instaed of after i was beat. Same outcome either way.
Right?

tdomeski
03-19-2004, 04:01 PM
Hand 1: Raise preflop to minimum of $1.25, a raise to $.75 is asking for trouble. I don't think you can complain with that flop. . .pushing in is preferred b/c you are probably ahead and if behind still drawing live. . . In Doyle Brunson's SS he calls this a "very powerful hand". . Pocket Aces with a four flush can't be laid down at this table without any reads, IMHO.

Hand 2: Why would you not want to limp with this hand???? 6-6 is a stack taker hand b/c your hand is so well disguised. Once the raiser gets reraised to $3 after the flop it's pretty evident someone is holding an 8 and wants to play, so push in here and hope for a call b/c chances are you are WAY ahead. . .unfortunate river.. .the only thing you could have done differently is get your stack in when you were way ahead but you still would have lost it all. .tough break. . .

Seems to me like you need to be more agressive with your big hands and don't worry about getting too fancy as half of the people at these low level tables aren't paying much attention to the player anyways.

Bling
03-19-2004, 04:48 PM
Sound advice thanks. I feel a bit better about calling the all in with my Aces. If its a good play for Doyle then its good enough for me! Even if i did lose my arse.

Matt Flynn
03-19-2004, 06:56 PM
AA hand:

preflop what the heck raise more or go for a limp-reraise. they're slinging chips they'll call. on the flop you have a pair and a draw with a made flush on board. that is much weaker than two overcards with a flush draw. also you don't mind a turn check if there's no heart. so good bet, surely you'll call a raise but you don't need to reraise. you're not in a hurry with it. if you call and he's got the current nuts he has to worry about how much you'll call and so will likely bet smallish on the turn.

once he goes all-in i'd fold unless he's bet-happy.

66 hand:

you are doomed. i find alcohol helps here, especially if all my money's gone so there's nothing to lose. in a live game you can sometimes mitigate the loss by getting someone to buy you a beer. this is why you should drink good beer so you'll get a bigger rebate.

matt

prairieboy
03-19-2004, 11:09 PM
Hand 1: Usually hands that want to push you off a flush draw can beat a flush draw (at least until you catch it).

Hand 2: If it's a loose/passive table, take a shot with your pairs. In this particular hand, I think you're SOL no matter how you play it, but generally, get your money in when you're ahead.