PDA

View Full Version : Some advice for commoners

Steven Punk
03-19-2004, 01:27 PM
When 1st starting out I suggest that you play low-limit sit-n-gos. The reason is that you get more hands for the dollars and experience is important.

Also when the cards are going bad get up and practice your archery or books that help you refine yourself to a more fitting type.

Bad Apple
03-19-2004, 05:40 PM
You better straight recognize with that uppity tone.

krazyace5
03-20-2004, 02:21 AM
Could you please address his royalness with SIR in the future. Thank you

hutz
03-20-2004, 11:58 AM
Everyone has different approaches to the game, but this may not be the best approach. What thomastem II forgot to mention is that, because of the "go broke and you're done" aspect of tournaments, people often play much differently in tournaments than in a cash game.* They may play much more maniacally or much tighter than usual pre-flop. Post-flop play is often different, as well, because the larger stacks may be playing the bully role and smaller stacks may either be playing uber-tightly and trying to bump themselves up a notch on the payout scale or, on the other extreme, may not care and may call with anything. So, while one may get to see more hands in a tournament, they are not necessarily going to be hands that serve as a good substitute for playing in a cash game.

* David Sklansky's tournament book discusses this important concept.

Steven Punk
03-24-2004, 02:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What thomastem II forgot to mention is that, because of the "go broke and you're done" aspect of tournaments, people often play much differently in tournaments than in a cash game.*

[/ QUOTE ]

Please stop the name calling. This is the second time I've asked.

astroglide
03-24-2004, 03:02 PM
seriously, lay off the identity crap and stick to the topics

G Money
03-24-2004, 03:45 PM
Calling Punk names is old why not stick to the facts?

Steven Punk
03-24-2004, 04:03 PM
A good point was made about the differences in Ring and SNG. There are basics like pot odds and starting hands/position that apply to both ring and SNG. SNG is also a good for learning how to adjust when short-handed.

Valid points that chip stacks and the risk of "you lose your chips your out" and the way a table changes drastically when you get close to the money. But a new player needs to learn how to adjust to situations and learn how to identify when they change.

I stand by my point that SNGs are an excellent way to learn.

Bad Apple
03-24-2004, 04:21 PM
This could be a good discussion why not discuss differences in tourneys and ring games without throwing sticks and stones?

My question now is what if any are the differences hinted at when you get short-handed? Short-hander ring vs short-handed tourney.

Hiding
03-24-2004, 05:25 PM
I actually started playing poker under that same SnG theory. Mostly because it kept me from playing scared, the money was gone already, and I could concentrate on playing. However, it is a lot different than ring. I also think the average new player probably needs to stay away from the all in possibilites of most SnG's for just a little bit, its a good way to go out fast. Makes it expensive to learn, I found it was a lot cheaper to loose 4 dollars at a .5/1 table on a junk hand than my 11 dollar SnG buy in. (although some lower limit SnG's with reasonable rakes are at other sites, I play party so Ugggg on the 5+1)

Steven Punk
03-24-2004, 06:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I actually started playing poker under that same SnG theory. Mostly because it kept me from playing scared, the money was gone already, and I could concentrate on playing. However, it is a lot different than ring. I also think the average new player probably needs to stay away from the all in possibilites of most SnG's for just a little bit, its a good way to go out fast. Makes it expensive to learn, I found it was a lot cheaper to loose 4 dollars at a .5/1 table on a junk hand than my 11 dollar SnG buy in. (although some lower limit SnG's with reasonable rakes are at other sites, I play party so Ugggg on the 5+1)

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand your point but you are comparing NL SNGs to limit ring. I probably should have specified Limit SNGs for new players. I would also suggest that new players get limit down before trying no limit.

MRBAA
03-25-2004, 01:10 PM
How's your penguin?

bdk3clash
03-25-2004, 02:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would also suggest that new players get limit down before trying no limit.

[/ QUOTE ]

At this rate, I guess I'll be ready for no limit in about 15 or 20 years. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Steven Punk
03-25-2004, 05:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How's your penguin?

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't an x-rated forum, how dare you?