PDA

View Full Version : Mmmmm...two 10-20 hands-live-

beerbandit
03-19-2004, 11:19 AM
Nice night- 10-20

Get there name is on the top-o-list and seat opens right up no way. Buy in for a rack. Sit down and post behind button. Win first hand (remember i posted-no raise) with K8o with a 88J flop going good so far--c/r turn and get called down. End up 25BB in three hours--dammit had to work. Could have been up a little more though. This game was weak...no preflop raising..well until hopped in. 4-6 players per flop.

In BB with AJ /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Two callers UTG and UTG+1 SB completes

I raise all call

Flop J96r

I bet UTG raises UTG+1 calls, Sb folds, I raise both call

Turn 2-(still no flush)-I check, UTG Bets, UTG+1 calls, I raise UTG calls, UTG+1 folds

River blank

I bet and he calls--He wins with 99
He says "Man, I thought you had three jacks" and I say "Why do you call then?" I know I wouldn't lay down a set unless I had a 100% read

Should I have played this different?

About two hours into my I'm UTG+1 with J10 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif and limp I think my calls may have been more intimidating than my raises. Five callers

Flop A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 3 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Checked to me I bet and am raised by my immediate left--all call

Turn 6 /images/graemlins/club.gif

SB bets, BB calls, I call?
My left raises---LP folds---SB, BB, myself? call

River 6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

checked to raiser who bets SB calls, BB calls, and I fold

MP 4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif
SB A /images/graemlins/spade.gif 3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif
BB 7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 7 /images/graemlins/club.gif

elysium
03-19-2004, 12:12 PM
hi beer
hand 1) you can't play it any better than that. the only debatable issue is the turn check-raise, and no one can say for certain that playing it any other way would have been better. looks best to me.

hand 2) when it's checked to you on the flop, it's a simple matter of variance. if you haven't been betting out with reasonable hands, here's a nice spot to do so. of course, if you have been betting out a lot, then check-raise here. actually beer, you should always be just a little bit biased toward check-raising or check-calling, so if you can't decide how your checks vs bet-outs are stacking up, then usually check-raise, or if you don't have that strong a hand, then check-call. of course, tend to try to find grounds to check-raise, and by the way, i believe that check-raises are equal to a bluff, so after check-raising tend to play it straight up. don't bet-out bluff or check-raise semi-bluff or bluff. after showing down a check-raise, play the following hand as if you had just shown down a stone cold bluff.

ok, i'm not sure about this alright. i've thrown this theory of mine out there, and to date i haven't had any response from the experts, ahem rick. i think this is valid though. i'd like old oz himself to shed some light on this theory. and i've never read discussion on this issue anywhere.

yeah beer, you're pretty good at this game. you're a little weak tight though, and you haven't addressed getting rid of your tells. stay away from the players who have the hunch, you know what i'm talking about? they kinda hunch forward with both arms resting lightly on the table, almost like a robot with no batteries. that hunch. and they also wear sweat shirt type sports wear, loose, wrinkle waved on the sleeves. and they hunch forward. and you never see them take their eyes off the mid-way point between their stack and the pot. you are walking chin first into those guys. stay away from them. when you've worked on correcting your tells, and you become capable of capping the flop in hand 2, even though a weak type opponent may have you beat, but you cap anyway to get the sweat shirt chips into the weak pile, and then from there into your pile, because you don't have the experience to beat the sweats, but you are able to use the weaker player's hand strategically like this, then play the sweat type opponents in this manner. and if you don't know how to move the money into position, then totally avoid the games with the type opponent described. stick to only loose type games. you do good in those but bad in the other type.

depending on a few factors, you could cap the flop occasionally here; not an immediately apparent positive play.

i think you're a very good player. work on incorporating a little intuitive strategy fitting your style of play, and also look for raises that can be made that aren't apparent right away. i can tell you this, but this advice could cause a looser type player to loose an astronomical amount rather than just a whole lot. you need to fire out from the gut more in areas like the flop in hand 2.

anatta
03-19-2004, 12:40 PM
Hand 1: You got a little tricky on the turn with your check-raise after the flop three-bet. This play works better when the flop has two suited cards to explain your flop action and turn check. That is, you make them think you are on a flush draw. But it worked for you here...unfortunately. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Hand 2: I am most concerned with your "?" by your turn decisions to call. Your Jack high flush draw is good here the vast majority of the time. I assume you know how often you will hit, and that the pot is offering you a huge overlay.

With all these callers, I think you should pump the flush draw on the flop. Notice that with JTs, you have blocked a lot of big card suited kings and queens (except KQs), leaving only hands like KXs or Q9s.

Gamblor
03-19-2004, 05:29 PM
Hand 1: I see nothing wrong, although I would have bet out the turn. If raised again, I go into call-down mode.

Hand 2: Reraise the flop. You have 5 players calling, and a ~2-1 shot to hit your flush. If it's a game of idiots, there's no reason to think you won't have the best hand if you do hit your /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Getting 5-1 on a 2-1 chance, I'd try to get as many bets in as possible. If most players are calling two cold on a A-high flop, there's no reason to think anyone will lay down for another two bets on the flop. 3-betting may even buy you a free turn card, if your immediate left is weak-tight and puts you on a made straight or set and a potential turn check-raise.

One of the most underrated plays is pumping the flop with a flush draw and at least 2 opponents in the pot. If your /images/graemlins/diamond.gif doesn't come, you can check-call the turn, but on the flop take your 5-1 odds for as much as you can get. Basically, you're putting tons of money in with the best of it, even though you may be an underdog to win outright.

If you're not willing to bet the farm getting 5-1 on a 2-1 shot, you're weak-tight.