PDA

View Full Version : AKo UTG, Party 2/4

Bogatog
03-19-2004, 06:51 AM
Animal in question has taken a few shots at preflop raisers, but has given up when meeting resistance.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button calls, SB calls, BB folds.

Flop: (9 SB) 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 3-bets</font>, Button calls, SB calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (10.50 BB) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 folds, Button calls, SB calls.

River: (16.50 BB) 3/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls, Button folds.

Final Pot: 18.50 BB

Piiop
03-19-2004, 08:10 AM
I would play it the same way and expect to be shown two crappy pair. It was nice of UTG+1 to fold the turn after 3 vetting the flop tho. And put a note on the button for being call station.

CarlNiclas
03-19-2004, 08:37 AM
I have stopped over calling/raising with AKo if the flop missed me, it has just cost me too much in the long run to chase. I would have to have a pretty good read on the players involved on the flop to play like you did. If I had and I knew them to be seriously overplaying nothing, I'd go your way.

Trix
03-19-2004, 10:11 AM
I fold on the flop. With only one player behind me I might raise like you did.

Saborion
03-19-2004, 10:24 AM
He has the odds to draw to his possible 6 outs on the flop, and if he's to play the hand, isn't a raise more worth it on a flop like that?

MRBAA
03-19-2004, 11:01 AM
Yeah, the critical difference in these games when you miss with AK or AQ on the flop is how many others are in. In a typical flop, where you have three or more players and someone bets, best to fold. I wouldn't be surprised if the SB flopped a set.

Trix
03-19-2004, 11:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
He has the odds to draw to his possible 6 outs on the flop

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, but he wont always have 6 outs and the reversed implied odds are kinda nasty if he hits and he is behind as he will often call down.

Saborion
03-19-2004, 12:13 PM
Hence the possible 6 outs.
But yes, he might lose more money on this one. But if you always fold AKo when you don't hit, is raising really the best option?

colgin
03-19-2004, 02:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
But if you always fold AKo when you don't hit, is raising really the best option?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, of course it is (assuming you mean raising pre-flop). A good to excellent player would clearly be giving up some EV if they always folded post-flop if the flop missed them regardless of circumstances. A mediocre player would probably be close to breakeven whether they always folded or chose to sometimes play. A poor player would surely save him or herself money by folding automatically post-flop since their mistakes will outweigh the times that they successfully play this hand from that point onwards. However, excellent, mediocre and poor players would all be giving up significant +EV if they didn't raise pre-flop with AK on the hands in which the flop hits them. Mind you, I am not advocating ALWAYS folding post-flop when you miss, but overcards are clearly one of the trickier areas of flop play and beyond. I am just saying that regardless you should be raising your Big Slick before the flop.

Colgin

Saborion
03-19-2004, 03:56 PM
I agree with what you said. And playing overcards is a bit tricky, but due to that, we have to practice on it right? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Considering many people like to play Ax on the lower limits, and considering that board is a pretty good one if you want to see the turn, raising the flop instead of calling might be the best option. Or? I think it is, am I wrong?

Bogatog
03-19-2004, 05:40 PM
I get shown Q /images/graemlins/heart.gifK /images/graemlins/heart.gif and take it down.

I don't always fold or always call or raise when my AK misses. Like several people have been saying, it comes down to how many players are still in. I really expected to be heads up after my raise on the flop. And on the turn I was going to fold to a 3-bet.