PDA

View Full Version : Best Concert Encore Ever

Bill Murphy
03-19-2004, 12:58 AM
Led Zeppelin 6/25/72 L.A. Forum

Louie, Louie/Everyday People/Thank You medley, heavy emphasis on the pipe organ.

Inexplicably & inexcusably left off of the official How The West Was Won live album last year, but the show is an amazing bootleg, especially for an audience recording.

Oh BTW, for the couple of you who may remember my post from last month: The soundboard bootleg of Zep's 5/26/73 show in SLC is unbelievably good. Sounds like you're standing right on stage with them. Must've come from the monitor feeds. /images/graemlins/shocked.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

baggins
03-19-2004, 04:15 AM
Bill -

Zep is my favorite band by far. where do you get these boots, and how can I get them?

I'm rabid here...

DonWaade
03-19-2004, 04:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Zep is my favorite band by far. where do you get these boots, and how can I get them?

[/ QUOTE ]

me too, wish I could have seen a concert. Page and Plant themselves don't do Zep justice. Missing the big ass gong, I guess

superleeds
03-19-2004, 09:38 AM
Bauhaus, Hammersmith Palais, Mid 80's. Last ever concert (or at least till they reformed and did a couple of gigs a few years ago.

ComedyLimp
03-19-2004, 09:47 AM
Oooh a Goth from Leeds. Fancy that! /images/graemlins/wink.gif

superleeds
03-19-2004, 10:08 AM
/images/graemlins/blush.gif I'm actually from Kent /images/graemlins/blush.gif but when your 5 and your local team (Gills) are a crap 4th Div side geography don't seem important /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I went and saw one of the reunion gigs at the Brixton Academy and apart from being a fantastic show it was one of the funniest experiences I've ever had. There was all these middle aged banker/insurance types reliving their youth - just like me /images/graemlins/grin.gif - All dressed up as they used too with their leather jackets with their tippex motifs of various goth bands on the back but most were 2 or 3 sizes too small. Relics from the past that cannot be thrown out and given an outing at least for one night. In the pub before hand it was all spritzers, red wine and expensive bottled lagers rather than piss poor cider like the glory days. Their was one guy who had all the gear on, painted face, black painted fingernails, the whole nine yards. The problem was he had spiked his hair but had a huge bald patch right in the middle. I had been picked up by a mate earlier in the day and so didn't get a chance to change my clothes. I can safely say I was an looked an absolute loon screaming for 'Terror Couple' as an encore in my white jeans and bright orange T shirt. A fantastic night. Now when are the Sisters and The Psycodelic Furs gonna do a reunion. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif /images/graemlins/cool.gif /images/graemlins/cool.gif /images/graemlins/cool.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

PS. They didn't play Terror Couple /images/graemlins/mad.gif

ComedyLimp
03-19-2004, 11:07 AM
Never understood Goths -- quite liked some of the music (Bahaus but not Sisters) but all that staying out of the sun, hanging round cemetaries and drinking Snakebite was not really for me.

I'll actually be watching the Gills a week tomorrow as they vist my beloved West Ham and look forward to taunting them with the chant "The wheels on your house go round and round" /images/graemlins/wink.gif

This is after sorting out a little local difficulty with M*llw*ll on Sunday.

Rushmore
03-19-2004, 11:47 AM
From Goth sprang some of the greatest stuff we will ever have to listen to--Nick Cave, SWANS, Ministry, Nine Inch Nails, Dead Can Dance, etc.

In the flat field I do get bored...

Oh, stop.

Bill Murphy
03-22-2004, 04:02 PM
British friend sends 'em to me. I'm a newbie when it comes to Zep boots masel.

Unfor'ly, I don't have a CD burner, file-sharing ability or large e-mail attatchment capacity, or I'd sort ya right out.

Gimme a couple weeks, and I might be able to come up w/something. Can you install a program called Soul Seek on your home PC?

Bill Murphy
03-22-2004, 04:07 PM
Yeah, but all Goth came from Black Sabbath! /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Bill Murphy
03-22-2004, 04:22 PM
I love the Furs, man, love 'em. ICYDK, they've re-mastered the first three albums. Forever Now is a must for the included B-Sides & outtakes, most of which belonged on the original release.

When I sequence it "my way"(SORRY! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif), I consider it one of the five strongest albums of all time. Magnificent production by Todd Rundgren; closest anyone ever got to the Beatles 'sound' IMO.

Anyway, the Furs have been playing sundry live shows in US clubs the last couple years. I'm seeing them Thursday!! /images/graemlins/shocked.gif /images/graemlins/cool.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/cool.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/cool.gif /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

They put out a live album a couple years ago w/one new song(ok) on it. Butler brothers & John Ashton only original members, but the other two guys played w/RichardB for most of the '90s.

superleeds
03-22-2004, 04:33 PM
/images/graemlins/cool.gif It's still in my all time top 5 too /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Cool to here they are still going, I'll have to look out for them. Let us know how it is Thursday. I wonder if Richard Butler still chain smokes thru the whole gig /images/graemlins/cool.gif I bet Tim B still wears shades /images/graemlins/laugh.gif must be a poker pro wannabe /images/graemlins/grin.gif

baggins
03-22-2004, 05:06 PM
where would i find Soulseek? and is it one of the illegal file-sharing programs that the gov. is cracking down on?

Al_Capone_Junior
03-22-2004, 10:30 PM
tho my taste in music might indicate I am older than 35, I was in fact only a child during the hayday of led zep, even tho they are one of my favorites.

My personal fav encore of all times was "project object" with mike kenealy in jersey city. How they ever could have topped "andy" tho is beyond me. Zappa rules. Project object is the best band I have ever seen, and I have seen well over 300 concerts.

zappa fans check out projectobject.com

the band is well worth seeing for any music fan and a must see for zappa fans.

al

Bill Murphy
03-23-2004, 11:40 PM
Yeah, its a file-sharing program, but apparently too small to be noticed.

http://tinyurl.com/ytbrq

Rushmore
03-24-2004, 01:09 PM
This is a no-brainer for me.

1982. The Clash at Pier 34 in NYC.

They played a 2 1/2-hour show, playing the best of their best, and as well as I'd ever seen them (I had seen them 7 or 8 times previously).

It started to rain right at the end of the show (this is an outdoor venue), and as they were finishing up "Safe European Home," it started to POUR, like freakin Thailand or somewhere.

They finished the song and RAN offstage, as this show was not an unplugged-type thing, if you take my point.

The crowd preferred not to leave without an oncore, and NOBODY left, as the rain actually managed to intensify somehow.

After about 3 minutes, they run back onstage, Strummer barks something like "You bloody people are crazy," and they launch into a brutal, seriously aggressive "White Riot." It was pure mayhem, honestly.

Right at the final note (if you know the song, you know it ends abruptly), Mick Jones unstraps his Stratocaster with one hand, and with the other HURLS it 40 feet across the stage, about 15 feet off the ground.

By the time it hit the ground, the band had waved and split.

I had met the band on several occasions prior to this show (I won't go into all the particulars), but after this gig, moreso than after any of the others I had seen, they were seriously hyped, as was the crowd.

I'm telling you, 10,000 people might easily have caught pneumonia, but nobody seemed to care.

It was that great all-around, the encore being perhaps the greatest five minutes of live music I've ever witnessed.

Bill Murphy
03-24-2004, 05:18 PM
I'm not a big fan of The Clash(although Janie Jones is a fantastic song), but that sounds really cool.

Best encore I personally saw? Hmmm....uh, er,...seems like I'm forgetting something. Lemme get back to ya.

bdk3clash
03-25-2004, 02:27 PM
Unsurprisingly, given my screen name and avatar, I enjoyed this anecdote.

beerbandit
03-25-2004, 03:15 PM
It seems funny to me that Led Zep is your fav and yet you have a G-n-R pic link. This is not a bash I just found it humorous. They both rock but I prefer Led Zep also.

baggins
03-25-2004, 06:56 PM
GNR is a close 3rd after Black Sabbath.

I just like the GNR logo. it's like giving props to more than one homie... but in a rock and roll kinda way.

Bill Murphy
03-28-2004, 09:03 PM
Great, great sheeew. Richard & Tim both wore shades, and looked fantastic, obviously clean n'. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Richard didn't smoke, and his voice sounded(for the most part) quite strong. Smoking may be banned in this club, tho. /images/graemlins/ooo.gif

They played about 80 minutes. 15 songs straight thru; mostly the hits, but a couple chestnuts thrown in, like Alice's House. /images/graemlins/shocked.gif Richard only said a few thank you's btwn songs, but was nonstop w/the gestures & twirling while singing.

Talked to John Ashton for awhile afterwards; fvckin sux I forgot all me CD inserts. /images/graemlins/frown.gif /images/graemlins/mad.gif Very, very nice bloke. Lead singer for warmup band said they're all good guys. Kid was blown away when they told him "U2 used to open for us!" /images/graemlins/shocked.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

When I mentioned Richard's voice to John he said, "Yeah, not bad for an old geezer!"/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

John also said they're working on a new album(the one new song, Wrong Train, was great), and that they're thinking of doing some remixes, maybe with Moby.

Anyway, excellent time, better than I hoped. Old pros showing how its done. One of those gigs where I bet new fans were made and old fans rekindled.

/images/graemlins/wink.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/wink.gif /images/graemlins/crazy.gif /images/graemlins/wink.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/wink.gif