PDA

View Full Version : Limit Omaha-Hi starting hands

mosta
03-18-2004, 11:36 PM
Here's one more general starting hand question. In this loose low-limit omaha-hi, I'm starting to think I'm playing a bit too tight--if it's typically 5-8 people to the flop for one bet, should I be playing pretty much all suited aces and big pairs, regardless of danglers? I mean, I certainly would do it in Hold Em on that kind of table--what's the difference?--it's drawing to the nuts (except that the flush is more vulnerable to the full house). And if you think about it, once you have a big pair or suited ace, what really is the relevance of the other two cards? Isn't it mainly that they make straights? And straights are very marginal. So do they really matter that much?

crockpot
03-19-2004, 01:27 AM
you will make the flush, and have it be the nuts, under 4% of the time with a suited ace. also you will lose more than one bet when you miss your flush, or when you hit it and get drawn out on. those are not the kind of odds you want to be drawing to.

besides the straight value, you should also consider the high card value of your sidecards. of course, you have the same chance of hitting a full house if your hand is A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif63 as if it is A /images/graemlins/diamond.gifK /images/graemlins/diamond.gifQJ. but your full house will almost always win with the second hand, where it will quite often lose with the first hand. so without some straight or high card potential, a suited ace is generally a loser even in this very loose-passive game.

i would play any pair queens or higher in the game you described, because you will hit a winning full house more often than a winning flush, and you lose less bets when you miss.