PDA

View Full Version : AQ decision on the bubble

citizenkn
03-18-2004, 08:43 PM
Getting to the end of a $10 SNG at Poker Room. Four players left, blinds 100-200:

UTG: 4000
Button: 6500 (VERY loose and agressive)
Me in SB: 1800 after posting SB
BB: 1200 after posting BB

I get dealt Q-A of diamonds in the SB. UTG folds, and the button raises to 500. He's been a maniac, so he could be holding any pair, ace, or two face cards. Rather than commit my stack by reraising, I decide to flat call and push in on a friendly flop. But surprise surprise, the BB pushes all in and the button immediately calls. What to do? Flat call (leaving me with 600 chips or so)? Push in? Fold my way into the money? Results later....

ThaSaltCracka
03-18-2004, 08:59 PM
lets see your on the bubble...
button raises.....
you call...
BB pushes...
Button immediately calls.....
FOLD!!! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

citizenkn
03-18-2004, 09:17 PM
good answer.... I did fold. Button showed K-J, BB showed A-10. I gnash my teeth slightly, then grimace even more when the board comes Q-3-J-Q-9. But the BB is busted out, and I'm in the money......

ThaSaltCracka
03-18-2004, 09:23 PM
yeah but in the long run, plays like this work to your advantage. I have a lot of respect for players that can outlast the blinds with a small stack and make the money, partly because they play very smart on the bubble.

Peter Harris
03-18-2004, 09:51 PM
i reckon 4 handed you are really good. Dominating the maniac; furthermore, if you do get sucked out by him, you finish third by merit of having more chips than the BB.

BB is going to push with any PP [50% up to & including JJ] and any ace (dominating all buy AK).

I really think i'd call here. Whilst mathematically, i have seen people who say that folding wins you money, i can't help but think you have a dominating hand here.

Can someone tell me i'm wrong??

Peter Harris

citizenkn
03-18-2004, 10:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i reckon 4 handed you are really good. Dominating the maniac; furthermore, if you do get sucked out by him, you finish third by merit of having more chips than the BB.

BB is going to push with any PP [50% up to & including JJ] and any ace (dominating all buy AK).

I really think i'd call here. Whilst mathematically, i have seen people who say that folding wins you money, i can't help but think you have a dominating hand here.

Can someone tell me i'm wrong??

Peter Harris

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I figured I was better than the maniac, and at least 50-50 against the BB, but when I'm on the bubble, and my stack is not at a desperation stage, I'd rather wait for a bigger advantage before I start pushing in all my chips. If we were already three handed, I would have pushed in without any hesitation. But on the bubble my first priority is getting into the money, and if that means folding while others knock each other around, I'm happy to do it.

Reminds of one SNG I was in---four people left, and I'm the ultra-short stack with only T600. On the hand before I have to post a T800 big blind, the two chip leaders get into an insane raising war, and one of them gets himself busted out of the tourney. I was out on the very next hand, but in third place instead of fourth. Sometimes getting out of people's way is the best way to help yourself...

Bozeman
03-18-2004, 11:53 PM
Considering the bad shape you will be in if BB wins, as well as the good chance that you have BB dominated and he has Button dominated, as well as the fact that you survive if you beat button and lose to BB, I think you should call or push here.

Craig