PDA

View Full Version : Flopping bottom set

square444
03-18-2004, 05:01 PM
Live NLHE game .50/.50 $25 max buy-in.

I'm UTG preflop and I have TT, I raise to $2.50. one LP caller, and SB re-raises to $5. I call, LP calls.

Flop: TJK rainbow.

I flopped bottom set, and I'm pretty happy. SB bets $10 and I just call, LP pushes in for $22 more. SB calls, and so do I. SB and I check it the rest of the way through.

LP turns over (of course) AQ, and since there was no sidepot, we both lost a big pot.

I know I played this pretty poorly. Can you give me any advice as to how I might have played it better?

Thanks in Advance,
Peter M. Engelbert (The Square)

SpaceAce
03-18-2004, 05:27 PM
#1) Don't just call here. This flop is littered with things waiting to kill your set. Do the raising yourself.
#2) You did WHAT? Don't check it down, are you insane? If the all-in player has you beat, you want money from the other player who is still in the pot with you. Also, what if you have the all-in player beaten and you check yourslef into losing to the small blind?

SpaceAce

square444
03-18-2004, 05:30 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention. I had the Small Blind beaten, he had KJ for two pair. In retrospect I really should have bet the turn and river hard, but I didn't. Is that the only thing (besides raising on the flop) that I could have done better?

nicky g
03-18-2004, 05:47 PM
Pretty much. But top against a set and it gets checked through? I'd really like to know what both of you were thinking here. We may have found the most passive game in history.

square444
03-18-2004, 05:55 PM
We were both kind of scared of each others' hands. Also, during the betting, someone who had seen all of our cards thought that two people were all-in and that we would all flip. So he says, "Peter (me), you're screwed." Nobody knew quite what this meant, but as it turns out, what he meant was that in order to beat the straight, the board would have to pair up (or I'd have to catch a ten or a running pair) which would give the other player a higher boat. He took back his words when he realized we weren't flipping, but I was already nervous about my hand.

At the time that he said it, I thought it meant I had the worst hand. Should I have heeded his word, or should I have contined to play the hand my own way?

If anything, I learned not to let people see my cards.