PDA

View Full Version : suited connectors hand and question

square444
03-18-2004, 04:54 PM
8-handed NL home game .50/.50 $25 max buy-in.

I'm in Middle position with 4c-6c. There are a few callers ahead of me so I call (is this what is known as implied odds? the amount of people in the pot with you and the amount of money in front of them?). It's raised by the person to my left (to $2.50) and there are five callers ahead of me. Because there pot is already big, I decide to call the raise.

the flop comes: Tc Jc Qh

UTG bets $5, the player between he and I folds. I call, and everyone behind me calls (so there are a total of 4 people in with me, seemingly with hands they like).

The turn brings another club, completing my flush. UTG bets $5, I raise to $10, both people behind me call.

On the river (a non-club rag that didn't help anyone), UTG checks to me, I put the rest of my money in ($7 more), person behind me calls, LP folds, and UTG calls.

I'm wondering if I played this correctly? Should I be worried here about a bigger flush? I know I was worrying when I was involved in the pot, but I couldn't help myself.

Also, are suited connectors (or one-hoppers like 4c 6c) better to be played in large multiway pots or large heads-up pots?

Results after I get some feedback.

Thanks in advance,
Peter Engelbert (The Square)

nothumb
03-18-2004, 06:18 PM
Suited connectors are, indeed, much more playable in large multi-way pots. The problem with low semi-connectors like the one you played here is exactly what happened - when you make your flush, are you happy or not? Judging from the other players' actions I'm guessing you won this hand, but they could easily be the kind of weak players who just call you down with the better flush. Depends on your table reads.

I like to play these hands in home games more than online because I can read the players in my home games more effectively and know when they're on a draw or a made hand. I also know which ones are sensitive to flushes and which ones will overplay top pair to the river.

So, if you want to play this hand your reads need to be better. Since you didn't include any I'm assuming you weren't sure what your opponents held? This would make a big difference.

square444
03-18-2004, 06:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So, if you want to play this hand your reads need to be better. Since you didn't include any I'm assuming you weren't sure what your opponents held? This would make a big difference.

[/ QUOTE ]

Two of the other people in the pot with me I had never played with before. The other one folded on the river, and I was pretty sure he flopped a set or two pair by the way he played it. But since I had never played with the other two before I had to feel them out (though this isn't the ideal situation to feel them out. It was the second or third hand since I had sat down, so I couldn't really have gotten much of a read at all).

Thanks for the advice.
Keep posting more advice, you other sharks out there.

jtc
03-19-2004, 01:40 PM
I would have pushed it in on the turn. You don't want to give someone with a high club a cheap card, and if someone has two pair or a set you should charge them for the card.

After your raise on the turn the pot is $50 (if I read the preflop betting correctly), and the two callers behind you are getting 5:1 and 6:1 to call. Pushing it in on the turn would lower the pot odds from 5 or 6:1 to about 3.3:1. There are ten outs if someone has a set - about 3.6:1 against filling up or making quads, so you want to charge them more to see the river. Someone with Ac is getting 4:1 to make the flush if you don't push it in. Also at this point you are pretty much committed (folding on the river could be a very costly mistake unless you were sure of your opponent's hand).

This is my thinking anyway, maybe someone has comments on how I would have played it?

CrisBrown
03-19-2004, 02:10 PM
Hi square,

I'd definitely have pushed at the turn, for the reasons stated in another post. If you're going to play this kind of hand, you're really playing it for the flush. If you hit the flush, well, you've got to go with it -- or else why be in the hand to begin with?

Cris