PDA

View Full Version : A fun hand from a few days ago: 73o in the BB

bisonbison
03-18-2004, 04:53 PM
I was just going over my pokertracker stats, and I decided to see which hands I've never won with. These include such luminaries as 64o (152 times), J7o (146 times) and 92s (50 times). Then I scrolled up a little, and discovered that I was making +.03 with 73o (146 times), ahead of such hands as A3s, KQs and 44 (I'm working on it).

I'd forgotten about this hand from last week. I think it goes to show that you should play even crap hands aggressively when they flop big.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.stompandcrush.com/cgi-bin/hhparser.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button calls, SB folds, Hero checks.

Flop: (6.50 SB) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP2 calls, <font color="CC3333">Button caps</font>, Hero calls, MP2 calls.

Turn: (9.75 BB) 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls, Button calls.

River: (12.75 BB) 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls, Button calls.

Final Pot: 15.75 BB

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows 7d 3h (two pair, sevens and threes).
MP2 shows Qc Jc (one pair, queens).
Button shows Ad Ah (one pair, aces).
Outcome: Hero wins 15.75 BB. </font>

The two other players at showdown missed raises preflop that could have gotten me out.

Rico Suave
03-18-2004, 05:36 PM
Hey Bison: (is it okay if I address you using just 1 bison?)

I am really not surprised that you are winning with 73o-it is a way underrated hand. You see, you can make a ton of money with it when you flop 2 pair or trips, and, more importantly, it is a connected hand--meaning you can make a straight out of it as well. In addition, one cannot overlook the deception value of 73o, your opponents will never put you on that hand!

So, am I surprised that 73o is a winner for you? No way. You just gotta know how to play it!

--Rico

Trix
03-18-2004, 05:37 PM
Nothing prettier than when an AA limp backfires /images/graemlins/grin.gif

bisonbison
03-18-2004, 05:43 PM
bison is fine. As is bisonbisonbison.

I think Sklansky once posted that, if played properly, in the long run you should break-even or better with every single hand. I don't know how many people can do it that well, but I think it's a great standard to try to hold yourself to.

I've gotten 73o 140 times, never played it outside of the BB for free and won twice. Boom: profit.

TheRake
03-18-2004, 05:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
more importantly, it is a connected hand--meaning you can make a straight out of it as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

My co-workers are wondering what the hell I am laughing at

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

TheRake

AviD
03-18-2004, 05:52 PM
Came out betting the flop...rather than CRing?

Man, I almost always CR that flop...hehe were ya worried or felt like you were going to get raised? Obviously the 3-bet and cap worked out better, but I'd think most tables you'd get just calls (loose-passive).

Way to work that 73o!!! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

bisonbison
03-18-2004, 05:57 PM
To be honest, I hate check-raising the flop unless there's a preflop raiser and I know that his position and my position will give me the check-raise effect I want. (build the pot or drive them out).

9 times out of ten, I prefer to bet.

Trix
03-18-2004, 06:06 PM
IŽll almost always bet in this spot and hope I can 3bet.