PDA

View Full Version : I played this so bad. KK from the BB

TheRake
03-18-2004, 12:33 PM
I have played many hands with MP2 and he is a decent player. I know why I am playing .5/1 (trying to get out of a losing streak), but I am not sure why he is playing this limit. In any event PT tells me his stats are 17%vpip & 7%pfr. All the other players involved are total fish.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.stompandcrush.com/cgi-bin/hhparser.cgi)

Preflop: TheRake is BB with K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, <font color="CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, MP3 calls, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, <font color="CC3333">TheRake 3-bets</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls.

Flop: (18.50 SB) 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">TheRake bets</font>, UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, <font color="CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="CC3333">TheRake 3-bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, <font color="CC3333">MP2 caps</font>, MP3 calls, TheRake calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls.

I put MP2 on JJ and I was to rigid with my read.

Turn: (19.25 BB) 9/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
TheRake checks, UTG+1 checks, MP1 checks, <font color="CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, MP3 calls, TheRake calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls.

Think I should have led out betting here and called a raise

River: (24.25 BB) 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
TheRake checks, UTG+1 checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks, MP3 checks.

Well now that was just pathetic

Final Pot: 24.25 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 24.25 BB, between MP3, TheRake, UTG+1, MP1 and MP2.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by TheRake (24.25 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
TheRake shows Kd Ks (two pair, kings and nines).
UTG+1 shows 7c 5c (two pair, nines and fives).
MP1 shows Ah Th (one pair, nines).
MP2 shows Ad Jh (two pair, jacks and nines).
MP3 shows Jc 6s (two pair, jacks and nines).
Outcome: TheRake wins 24.25 BB. </font>

I missed at least 4bb...Maybe more. Tell me how bad I played

TheRake

AviD
03-18-2004, 12:49 PM
I would still bet the turn and slow down to a raise.

StellarWind
03-18-2004, 01:43 PM
AJ doesn't surprise me. I only charge you with one lost BB. You should bet the turn and call a raise. If he calls the turn you can bet the river. Either way you get one more bet.

sthief09
03-18-2004, 02:00 PM
Just say you check-called the turn in an effort to check-raise the river. It didn't work, but you never thought you were behind. That river check-raise woulda been pretty. Too bad he didn't bite.

sfer
03-18-2004, 07:05 PM
Checkraise the turn, slow down if 3-bet. MP's response to a checkraise gives you a lot more information about how much he likes his hand.

jeffseib
03-18-2004, 08:13 PM
MP2 raised PF, but didn't cap, so prob. has JJ, QQ or AQ, AJ maybe.

MP2 capped on the flop, so he must be able to beat JJ. A set of Js would do this, so reading him as set of Js is reasonable, especially after he caps! QQ, KK or AA would be a reasonable hand for him to put you on.

With five players on the turn and now a possible straight (QT, 67, both ordinary cold calling hands, esp. if suited in Party 0.50/1) and MP2 representing JJ, KK doesn't look so strong.

After MP2 raised on the flop, I would have just called and then checked and called to the river.

On the other hand, MP2 might have thought he had the best hand with AJo and was trying to knock out the drawing hands. But he should not have capped the flop after you three-bet and two others called. The pot at this point is protected. He should have also just checked and called.

I think that both you and MP2 overplayed the flop and MP2 betting the turn was a waste of time; nobody was leaving that hand!

sfer
03-18-2004, 08:27 PM
3-betting a multiway J-8-5 rainbow flop with KK is not overplaying.

Routinely capping the flop with TPTK is generally not overplaying either. Capping a PF 3-bettor with top pair-Jack top kicker probably is overplaying.

jeffseib
03-19-2004, 05:49 PM
Hmmm. Maybe you are right. But with so many callers in a protected pot and only two outs vs. made trips and straight draws, I would have slowed down after MP2 raised on the flop.

I used to play overpairs very strongly, but found that this was my biggest leak, esp. vs. straight and flush draws. After slowing down in the face of a show of strength, my leak disappeared. Maybe I should change my play back to what I did before, but just be more careful of made straights and flushes.

sfer
03-19-2004, 09:07 PM
It depends on your opponent and the table and the board. If your opponent is a loose-passive calling station and he suddenly comes alive raising/reraising a drawless board then you're in trouble. But if it's a player who only plays his cards and can only see he has top pair, that's a different story.

Also, don't worry about protected pots on the flop in LL games. On the river it becomes important. But it's important to point out that the villain legitmately thought he had the best hand. TPTK is a big hand in hold 'em, as is an overpair. They will routinely win even multiway pots. Think how ahead the villain thinks he is flopping a J if he puts the Hero on AK (which is standard thinking).