PDA

View Full Version : Starting a home tourny - single table with a rebuy, need help

Gahnia radula
03-18-2004, 12:15 PM
Cross referenced in the home poker forum

I play in a weekly low low limit home game.

Everyone buys in for $10 and we play a mixuture of NL games.

Up until recenlty we also played single table tournaments, everyone buys in for $1 and winner takes all.

Recently 2 new players have joined our weekly home game, neither of them likes playing tournaments "cause its boring and takes to long" - yes they bust out early

Now I enjoy playing tournaments and want to get them back into the rotation. So in an effort to get these 2 invovled and make everyone happy I was thinking of increasing the buy in, changing the payout structure and implementing a rebuy period.

Im hoping the rebuy will keep players who bust out early happy and put more money in the prize pool so that it becomes "more interesting to play and watch"

The changes i want to make are

$3 buy in (up from $1)

3rd place gets their money back, 2nd 30% of whats left and 1st place takes the remaining 70%

As for the rebuy, well this is where i need help. To be quite honest i have no idea how the rebuy works.

First let me ask, can players who have been knocked out rebuy back into the tournament, or is it only for players still in???? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Is the rebuy the same as the initial buy in?? (ie in my case $3) or more for the same amount of chips??

When do players get the chance to rebuy (what level)?

Any other suggestions or comments are welcome

Thanks

Gahnia radula

alieneyes
03-18-2004, 12:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
First let me ask, can players who have been knocked out rebuy back into the tournament, or is it only for players still in???? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

[ QUOTE ]
Is the rebuy the same as the initial buy in?? (ie in my case $3) or more for the same amount of chips??

[/ QUOTE ]

In general yes, but some tournaments give you more to encourage rebuys.

[ QUOTE ]
When do players get the chance to rebuy (what level)?

[/ QUOTE ]

Usually at all levels up to a certain one. A common thing is unlimited rebuys for the first 3 rounds. A common qualifier is that you must have an amount equal to or less than the amount of starting chips for the tournament (this allows and immediate rebuy upon the tournament starting).

Sometimes tournaments also allow an additional "add on" at the end of the rebuy period which is usually equivalent to the number of chips you get from a rebuy, but has no qualifier based on your stack size. Sometimes these are "double" add-ons as well.

jedi
03-18-2004, 02:00 PM
If you're going to have a multiple-rebuy tournament, where you can only rebuy if you fall below a certain amount of chips, make sure that there is an add-on as well. You don't want to disadvantage someone who wins their first hand and never falls below that threshold.

Alternatively, you can have a set number of rebuys, no matter how many chips someone has.

The only other thing I'd worry about is "3rd place gets their money back." Does this mean their entire entry fee AND rebuys, or just the initial entry fee? I'd be more inclined to just set a percentage aside for 3rd place, rather than worry about the semantics of what "money back" means in this context, since you can have different people buying in for different amounts.

Gahnia radula
03-18-2004, 06:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The only other thing I'd worry about is "3rd place gets their money back." Does this mean their entire entry fee AND rebuys, or just the initial entry fee? I'd be more inclined to just set a percentage aside for 3rd place, rather than worry about the semantics of what "money back" means in this context, since you can have different people buying in for different amounts.

[/ QUOTE ]

hmmm thats a good point, ill have to think about that

I think a % of the prize pool may be a better option, just for simplicity

Thanks

Gahnia radula