PDA

View Full Version : Would you make this semi bluff in BB

webiggy
03-18-2004, 11:30 AM
Not the best of sessions, VPIP about 18% and mostly $hit hands and play was a little tricky for me this night. Risky or calculated, u be the judge..,

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.stompandcrush.com/cgi-bin/hhparser.cgi)

Preflop: Bluffer is BB with 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO calls, Button folds, SB completes, Bluffer checks.

Flop: (4 SB) 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, Bluffer checks, <font color="CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, CO calls, SB calls, <font color="CC3333">Bluffer raises</font>, MP3 calls, CO calls, SB folds.

Turn: (5.50 BB) 8/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Bluffer bets</font>, MP3 folds, CO folds.

Final Pot: 6.50 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 5.50 BB, won by Bluffer.</font>
<font color="#990066">Pot 2: 1 BB, overbet by Bluffer.</font>

sfer
03-18-2004, 12:46 PM
I would check/fold the flop. There's a draw on the board, the flop bet came immediately to your left with several callers so you're not shutting anyone out by forcing them to call 2, and most cards to come are likely to be scare cards for you (overcards and spades). Unless you had a good read on your opponents, I think you were lucky they folded the turn.

Also, I don't think there's enough improvement potential to call this a semibluff. You're drawing to 5 outs.

WDC
03-18-2004, 12:55 PM
I like this play but not because it is a bluff. You have a good chance of being ahead on the flop and turn. I would not make this play into a rainbow board.

MaxPower
03-18-2004, 01:12 PM
Um..... No. I don't think this succeeds often enough to be profitable.

If you think you have the best hand, you are better off just betting the flop. If you don't think you have the best hand, they won't fold often enough and you won't improve to the best hand often enough.

sthief09
03-18-2004, 01:24 PM
If you read the section on semi-bluffing in TOP, it says that the semi-bluff is basically non-existent in loose games. With a bet on the flop and 2 overcalls, I'm in shock that you managed to take this pot down. With an ace kicker, it's a much more valuable play.

sthief09
03-18-2004, 01:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would not make this play into a rainbow board.

[/ QUOTE ]

That just doesn't make any sense at all... why would you want to attempt a bluff on a board that IS coordinated rather than one that is highly uncoordinated?

Trix
03-18-2004, 01:40 PM
I check fold.

WDC
03-18-2004, 01:54 PM
Because on a drawless board your hand is less likely to be good. On a two tone board a flush draw is likely to bet; you checkraise- get it heads up, if a non-flush card comes, you bet out and the the flush is not getting the proper odss to chase. If you get three ebt on the flop or raised on the turn you can fold there.

sfer
03-18-2004, 02:45 PM
I would think close to the reverse. That is, on a draw heavy board picking up callers or getting raised doesn't tell you if they're drawing or if they're ahead.

btspider
03-18-2004, 03:10 PM
check/fold this. you don't know who has you beat and who is drawing (and they would be correct to call the turn bet with that pot size). your hand is extremely weak at a loose table and a weak T or stronger 6 may call you down. a flush draw may miss, but hit a higher pair.

you don't want to go past the turn with this hand, so you would prefer a rainbow board to go with these rag ranks. if your turn bet is called, you are done. overcards likely wouldn't bet if you check the river after your earlier aggression and anyone who bets probably has you beat.

webiggy
03-19-2004, 12:21 AM
I saw alot of c/f responses and I understand why.

Honestly guys - this game was a little tough - 30% seeing flop. I figured that the flopped missed everybody and guessed that the one of the limpers would take a stab at it, either on a draw or a bluff and by putting them on 4 outers was probably a scary prospect for them. Turns out I guessed right and honestly felt it was a good mix up at the time. Thanks all for your imput. Of course I don't always make this play, but I do occasionally like to mix things up a bit.

Cheers,

Iggy

DonWaade
03-19-2004, 04:09 AM
I have not read a lot of the replies, but my guess and certainly the smart move would be to check/fold. You ask, Risky or calculated?" I say risky. However, if you had been playing that table for a while and had an image of a tight player, this can be a good move. If you have a tight image, then I say calculated.