PDA

View Full Version : Wasn't Sure What the Proper Play Was

ThePopinjay
03-18-2004, 06:36 AM
Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (4 handed) converter (http://www.stompandcrush.com/cgi-bin/hhparser.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is Button with J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls, Hero calls, SB folds, BB checks.

Flop: (3.50 SB) K/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 2/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (3.75 BB) Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

River: (5.75 BB) 9/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 5.75 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 5.75 BB, between BB and Hero.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Split: BB (2.87 BB), Hero (2.87 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
BB shows Kh 8h (two pair, kings and twos).
Hero shows Jh Ks (two pair, kings and twos).
Outcome: BB wins 2.87 BB. Hero wins 2.87 BB. </font>

Pretty much this came down to the river play on my part. I wanted him out of the pot, but he wouldn't leave. By the time the river hit, I thought he may have hit a low flush, thus screwing me over, and thus my unwillingness to put another, a "lost" buck into the pot. However, if I had bet, chances are very good he would have folded. What's the right play to make here?

spamuell
03-18-2004, 07:31 AM
I haven't read the results yet, but I would probably have closed my eyes and bet (of course, folding to a check-raise). He might call with a worse hand, or even fold a better hand, so this probably makes up for the times that he calls with a better hand.

Guido
03-18-2004, 07:56 AM
I would raise PF, you played the flop and turn perfectly. I don't think checking is wrong this time.

Guido

chesspain
03-18-2004, 08:33 AM
There is no way opponent is folding a better hand here, but he could have a low club that he did not feel great about betting. I'm trying to figure out the type of holding BB could have which caused him to bet out on the flop and then checkcall the turn after being raised on the flop. I'm guessing opponent had either a weak Kx, 88-TT, or even 2x, and was subsequently frozen by the flop raise + the other clubs hitting the board.

My rather fuzzy perception makes me think that there is probably not much difference in EV between betting and checking it through.

spamuell
03-18-2004, 08:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
There is no way opponent is folding a better hand here

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, haven't seen you around for a while (at the tables, that is, but I've cut down on playing TGC).

Some opponents would definitely fold a better hand here. I know that I would have a few months ago, and I've seen inexperienced players write posts on these board where they give up as much as a set for one bet heads up on the river because there is a four-flush on board.

I don't think it's out of the question that an opponent would fold a clubless KQ here or two pair, or even a small club.