PDA

View Full Version : Top pair from the big blind

legend42
03-18-2004, 04:22 AM
This hand came up in a tougher than usual 15-30 online game recently, and I'm curious as to how the elite minds of the poker world would approach it.

The table is just tad loose, but not out of line. There have been some aggressive moves made postflop: if someone raises headsup, 80% of the time, an automatic 3-bet follows. I must admit a couple of these moves have got the best of me. But this hand is a little different.

I get K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif in the big blind. Two limpers (EP & MP), then a raise from late position. The SB calls, and I call. Limpers call.

<font color="blue">The flop is a mildly titillating 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif </font>

And the SB bets out. Now, it seems the standard play here is to raise, and try to thin the field. But the fact is it just doesn't work. Not only do they call- I probably won't lose JT, QT, QJ, AK, etc.- but the play just screams 'lone top pair that needs protecting'. So, if a scare card falls- no matter which one- I'm vulnerable to a move in which I'll have no idea where my opponent is at, and he'll have every idea where I'm at. And I've shown I can be pushed off a hand.

So I decide to smooth call for several reasons: I want to find out where the PFR is at (he'd almost have to raise an overpair here), it might give my hand some deception, and if an ace or something hits the turn, I can get out pretty cheap. If a safe card turns, I plan to hit em with a sledgehammer if SB bets out again.

But before all that, the EP limper raises the flop behind me. He's pretty loose-aggressive, so this could mean several things. What I hope it doesn't mean is A9.

The MP folds, and LP waits and calls. SB calls. Now is this a good time for a 3-bet, and try to take the lead right here? Maybe, but I call.

<font color="blue">Turn is a pretty good looking 2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif (pairing the board and putting two spades on) </font>

SB checks, I check with a plan, EP bets, (here's the test) LP just calls (gotta think no overpair), SB calls, and I announce my presence with authority, and check-raise (hey, if I'm gonna be here, let's make a pot). EP pauses and calls (I'm still worried about A9- he might think I have a deuce, or a flopped set, and is going to hang tight with top pair top kicker). Now LP exits, and SB waits and calls (no idea what he has- he's a solid player- he might have picked up a backdoor spade draw with something like A8s)

<font color="blue">River is semi-scary J /images/graemlins/club.gif </font>

No flush, but that hits one of the big draws. SB checks. What do you do here? And what would you have done differently on the prior streets?

astroglide
03-18-2004, 01:49 PM
i would have raised the flop. however you play it, if you're willing to call a bet on the river you should probably bet yourself. worse hands (ace high, pocket pair, etc) will still call, and it's reasonably safe to fold to a raise.