PDA

View Full Version : My No Limit Epiphany (long)

Jon34
03-18-2004, 02:11 AM
WARNING: This is a good chunk of my poker background, which leads up to my latest realization. Might be a good read for new players, I might get a pat on the back from the real players, and from what I've read recently I might be in the same boat as Gomez. Pardon the rambles /images/graemlins/wink.gif

I started playing poker last summer. Before that I never realized how complex a game it was, but as soon as I discovered how incredible it really was, I was hooked. Between a natural affinity for logical and mathmatical reasoning and experience with games that involve similar skills (magic the gathering, bridge), I thought I had a real knack for the game (and still think so).

I started playing online freerolls and latenight heads up against my brother. It took me a couple months to come around to agreeing with many general theory principals, as I didn't really believe it until I experienced it enough. For example, I didn't understand why you should play tight preflop when most any two cards could flop a monster. Eventually I realized the reasons, and poker just kept growing on me. I have been trying to take the fast track to poker success, studying many books, reading these forums, and playing way too much altogether /images/graemlins/smile.gif

When I got back to college in the fall, I started playing no limit home games (typically .25/.50 blinds, $20 buyin). I have done quite well in them, winning much more than losing. One thing to note, however, is that the play in those games isn't really "normal". although there are exceptions, for the most part they play fairly tight and aggressive preflop. The 'standard' raise preflop is $2-$2.50, and bigger raises than that usually just take down the blinds, unless someone has something big. Postflop, however, the bets usually stay about the same. Sometimes they increase a little bit, to $3 or $4 or $5, and there is the occasional allin, etc..., but a typical hand is often "1 or 2 limps, A raises to $2.50 preflop, B & C call, rest fold. A bets $2 on flop, B calls, C folds. A bets $2 on turn, B calls or raises $2. A checks river, B checks or bets $3, A calls, showdown". A pot sized bet on the flop is a rarity, unless there was no raise preflop and the pot on the flop happened to be in the ballpark of $2.

Recently, about 6 or 8 weeks ago, I started playing online as well. I played a mix of 10+ 1 S&G's, shorthanded limit (.50/1 and 1/2), and .25/.50 No limit on stars and paradise. I was doing quite well at shorthanded limit(and in total), but getting quite frustrated at NL. I played my same solid game from the home games. Others would play in similar fashion in the sense that there were never any pot sized bets (mostly $2 or so, depended on the person), but they were also much worse in general in other ways, like calling down with 2nd, 3rd, or an underpair, calling w/ gutshots, etc... So my typical NL session involved my building a stack slowly and steadily, taking a fish's whole stack on occasion, just playing good poker against inferior competition. But then invariably someone would either do something stupid, and take a big pot off my in a bad beat, or sometimes I would just get beat by better hands. This seemed especially rough when I had AA. I have had so much trouble folding it, when people value TPTK like gold, but end up losing tons of money with it against randon 2 pair, trips, etc...

So about a week or so ago I began rethinking my play, especially with aces. It seemed to me that if I could get others to commit some money into the pot I could just push in preflop, and take down a okay sized pot, and if they called I was always a big favorite, +EV, etc...I expanded this a bit more, and started betting really hard if the flop was coordinated at all, which almost always takes it down, but people who draw have to pay dearly. The next step was to simply start raising more preflop. While this often knocked people out, when they did call they were making a much bigger mistake. Furthmore, it set up a pot bet on the flop which almost always takes it down. It took me a while to accept this strategy, as it can be depressing to raise with a very strong hand UTG and get zero callers. I'm still tinkering with a lot of the details and still getting used to when to bet the pot, less or more, and when to abandon top pair when you meet resistance. But the results still look encouraging. I don't have that many hours/hands to constitute a valid sample size, but my impression is that this style/strategy gets drawn out on much less, decreases variance, and might win slower but still wins and with less risk. This has been a very drastic change in the way I play, but should be a big improvement and pay off significantly once I get used to it. Betting out all weak hands and draws looks to be much better than closing your eyes, betting a small fraction of the pot, and hoping the other guys don't hit. Thanks for listening,

Jon34

Gomez22
03-18-2004, 03:29 AM
Wow... I get my first props in a post... Is that a good thing or bad? /images/graemlins/wink.gif

OK... here's MY take on somw of what you said, and I really hope that any experienced players out there correct me if I'm wrong.

No matter the limit, stakes, blinds, antes, game, or color shirt you're wearing, the only way you make money in poker is by capitalizing off of your opponent's mistakes. We could take that one step further and apply the Fundamental Theorem of Poker, but we won't here.... mistakes are the name of the game.

With what you mention in your last paragraph, it's sorta like a catch-22 type of situation. You WANT players to make the mistake of calling you when you have a good hand and making them pay to draw without odds(another mistake). That's all well and good. The problem that I myself see with... let's call your theory "going big", meaning that you bet biger than normal PF, and on the flop, is that you are very likely to NOT get alot of action on many hands. That's a good thing and a bad thing....

It's good because you'll win many hands virtually uncontested, but bad because you won't win much in the way of money.

2 weeks ago, I would have NEVER thought standardized PF raising was a good thing, but after SpaceAce hammered it through my noggin, and I agreed to start doing it, I can't figure why I never did it before.

Also, the pot-sized bet thingy..... After many verbal lashings from forum members here, I now NEVER bet unless it's the size of the pot (OK... sometimes I'll OVERBET the pot on the flop(more than 1 opponent on a co-ordinated board), and maybe underbet a little to keep worse hands than mine in, but NOT draws in). To tell the truth... I love playing like this now. It makes alot of hands easier to play once you can "feel" certain nuances that are out there to be felt (I'm not talking tells so much as getting an inkling as to what bets mean in certain situations).

Now this will sound strange coming from me, but why do you think they call it "Big Bet Poker"? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif Yep.. I... Gomez22... I'm the one that just said that. Funny how a week can change your perspective, ain't it?

As far as I can tell, when it comes to betting in NL games, there are a million things you can do. I currently bet about the size of the pot whenever I make a bet, and if I'm not going to bet, it's either raise or fold now... no calls for me (OK.... a 4-flush, or OESD with limpers behind MAY make me call a flop bet, but that's about it). I think you kist have to find a betting pattern that works for you, that you feel COMFORTABLE with, and maybe experiment a little. There's really NO SINGLE RIGHT way to bet in NL, just don't be a sissy like I used to.... Plus, it's much more fun to bet lots of money!!!

This strategy of "going big" DOES have some drawbacks, though, of which I learned a little of today. You can tend to lose more with varience swings, or when you have Sucky McSucken sitting at your table, and let's not forget the habitual flush monger, and the call...call...call...call...calling station.

But... like I'm finding out, and like I've been told..... you will have bigger winning sessions, and gain more confidence (at least in my humble opinion).

Anyways, those are some of my thoughts here.... for what they're worth... meh... who knows, just the ramblings of a converted limit player starting his journey in the world of No-limit Hold Em.

'Mez