PDA

View Full Version : Forming new religion; "Hansenism". Looking for converts..

Daliman
03-18-2004, 12:42 AM
Well, i know aggression pays, and I must admit, I was(still am a liitle), VERY skeptical of Gus Hansen's play style and record after his first two WPT appearances, and I don't even know anything about what happened to him on tonight's show, but MY GOD is this guy on a run. It seemed like the only thing he really had going for him other than the basics was aggression and fearlessness. I'm not sure how he does it, but whatever he's selling, I'm buying.
Converts will be expected to have exceptional forearm strentgh for pushing in stacks, well versed in neck streching excercises, eat only fruit, wear tight black shirts, and of course, shave their head.

JTG51
03-18-2004, 02:00 AM
I really like watching Hansen play. He looks like he's always getting out of line before the flop, but he plays really, really well after the flop. How often do you see him put a lot of chips in after the flop with the worst hand?

I think his style of play is perfectly designed for tournament poker. He'll get busted relatively quickly a lot of the time, but he'll also be at the final table with a ton of chips a lot of the time.

Nottom
03-18-2004, 04:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
How often do you see him put a lot of chips in after the flop with the worst hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

He was pretty conservative today compared to his performances last season. Look back at some of his hands against Andy Block last season for a few times where he was putting in some chips while behind.

Of course this in no way implys that I don't love to watch Gus play and am very much looking foward to the PStars tourney ... that should be a great final table.

J_V
03-18-2004, 04:25 AM
Yeah, cuz the Andy Bloch kept way underbetting the pot cuz he had no idea what he was doing.

Greg (FossilMan)
03-18-2004, 09:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Andy Bloch ... had no idea what he was doing.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't know Andy at all, I can see. Andy is a better poker player than probably anybody on 2+2. And I'm definitely including myself. He knows poker very well, all forms, and has good instincts as well as being pretty much perfect at the math part.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

scotnt73
03-18-2004, 10:09 AM
not to mention that he made it to 3 final tables last season.

CrackerZack
03-18-2004, 10:31 AM
He also likes my KotZ style which is take a dominated hand and suck out. Ask Hoyt Corkins, I'm sure he remembers.

I agree Hansen's game is very well suited to these tourneys. Its very hard to tell where he is and he plays very well post flop which allows him to amass a ton of chips if he's running well or if people are scared and folding a lot post flop.

Mike Gallo
03-18-2004, 12:17 PM
You don't know Andy at all, I can see. Andy is a better poker player than probably anybody on 2+2. And I'm definitely including myself. He knows poker very well, all forms, and has good instincts as well as being pretty much perfect at the math part.

I watched Andy Bloch play in October when the Borgata had their WPT event. He played in the biggest game and played very well.

I agree with everything Fossilman wrote. I would consider Andy Bloch a "world class" player.

J.R.
03-18-2004, 02:30 PM
But many of those plays against andy bloch weren't necessarily mistakes against given the stack sizes and bets already in the pot. Gus incites fear in other players because he isn't afraid to make a mistake but also makes some great reads, which is probably a function of his aggressive style, although he did make a big mistake against Dewey last night. Many tournament players play to not lose, and that risk aversion is exploitable. Watching Gus and Paul Phillips play back at each other was some of the best poker I have seen on the WPT.

ScottyP431
03-18-2004, 02:49 PM
Im in, since the first time i saw this guy play i was just like wow, in most poker books it says something like you can play more hands as you get better and play better on the flop, and gus [censored] owns this principal. Very rarely does he make mistakes after the flop, even more rarely do people come over the top of him, he commands respect.

I think one thing that makes gus maybe a better player than similarly agressive pros like Phil ivey or Layne flack is he doesnt let up. He will bluff the flop turn and river, he will re-re-raise on a bluff etc. He seems to be fantastic at knowing when people are putting a "re-steal" move on him and making them pay.

On a side note: heads up match i want to see: Gus v. Phil helmuth... imagine the potential tantrums

J_V
03-18-2004, 06:48 PM
I never met Andy. Maybe, I'm confusing who I think he is.

The person I am thinking if, I saw on a WPT in the first season. I am thinking he was a younger, slightly on the heavy side if I remember, who busted to Gus Hansen w/ AJ vs A6.

If that is the "good" player, I am shocked. This player played very poorly in the WPT I saw, and certainly looked and acted like he didn't have a real understanding of what was going on.

If that was him, why was he underbetting the pots is such vulnerable situations?

J_V
03-18-2004, 06:50 PM
Ok, the guy I am thinking of, has no chance to be what people consider "world class." I probably am confusing two names.

spamuell
03-18-2004, 06:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The person I am thinking if, I saw on a WPT in the first season. I am thinking he was a younger, slightly on the heavy side if I remember, who busted to Gus Hansen w/ AJ vs A6.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're thinking of Daniel Rentzer.

And although Gus was behind there as well, on the turn, he had like 15 outs.

scotnt73
03-18-2004, 07:26 PM
andy was the one who made 3 final tables. in one episode they mention that he graduated from mit and then graduated from law school at harvard.

do they check your background when you tell them this stuff?
I believe Andy but could i tell them a bunch of lies and them list it when they talk about me during the show. /images/graemlins/grin.gif
some of the guys i find thier stories hard to believe. they cant all be 200 IQs with the title of backaraak(SP?) champion.

J_V
03-18-2004, 07:30 PM
It's confirmed. The person I was thinking of had the first name Daniel. No hard feelings Andy. I'll be more careful next time.

Wake up CALL
03-18-2004, 07:59 PM
JV this may help Andrew Bloch (http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet/PersonDetail/personid-15397)

ThaSaltCracka
03-18-2004, 08:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
On a side note: heads up match i want to see: Gus v. Phil helmuth... imagine the potential tantrums

[/ QUOTE ]

I too would like to see this

felson
03-18-2004, 08:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
andy was the one who made 3 final tables. in one episode they mention that he graduated from mit and then graduated from law school at harvard.

I believe Andy but could i tell them a bunch of lies and them list it when they talk about me during the show.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://alum.mit.edu/www/abloch

The MIT alumni database shows him as a bachelor's and master's degree graduate in electrical engineering, class of 1992 (of course, I could be lying here too). I can't personally verify his Harvard Law degree but see no reason to doubt him.

Brian
03-18-2004, 09:00 PM
So is he a lawyer or an actor? Matlock, Murder She Wrote, Ally McBeal, Judging Amy, Night Court. This guy gets around.

-Brian

Myrtle
03-18-2004, 09:59 PM
Andy is exactly who Greg and others (who have listed his credentials above)say he is.....

On top of all that, he's also one hell of a nice guy!

Greg (FossilMan)
03-19-2004, 09:42 AM
Andy Bloch, as seen on the WPT, is not an actor. There is another Andy Bloch who is (was?) an actor. Two different guys.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

jedi
03-19-2004, 02:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think they do, at least on the ESPN WSOP program anyways. "Graduated from college at age 12" anyone?

Daliman
03-19-2004, 04:28 PM
That's Russ "Dutch" boyd, and I believe it's semi-common knowledge