PDA

View Full Version : Did I overplay my hand? KK in the BB

Justaloser
03-17-2004, 11:10 PM
I just sat down, and this was my first hand at the table.
No reads.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed) converter (http://www.stompandcrush.com/cgi-bin/hhparser.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 raises, CO calls, Button folds, SB folds, Hero 3-bets, MP2 calls, CO calls.

Flop: (9.50 SB) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 5/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP2 bets, CO calls, Hero raises, MP2 calls, CO 3-bets, Hero caps, MP2 calls, CO calls.

Turn: (10.75 BB) 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero bets, MP2 calls, CO calls.

River: (13.75 BB) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>

Bet out? Check/call? check/fold?

The Dude
03-18-2004, 12:57 AM
Against the typical Party opponent, you played this hand fine. Bet out on the river, and call a raise.

JTG51
03-18-2004, 01:16 AM
I'd bet. You will almost always be ahead of MP2, so you just have to worry about CO. His flop play looks like a momster or a big draw. He would have most likely gotten another raise in with two pair or a set, so I like your chances.

2000Flushes
03-18-2004, 03:26 AM
I think it's an easy bet/call

I'm liking MP2 for something like AK or AQ or maybe JJ/QQ and the CO for something like diamonds or AT, so I'm thinking you're ahead and will get at leat 1 call maybe both.

J.N.
03-18-2004, 09:03 AM
MP bets the flop - but don't reraise you, so i put him on a (flush)-draw, toppair or a fearfully played overpair. Cutoff calls and reraises - this is most of the time a flushdraw or (unlikley) a set (no turn raise).
Given the chance the both players are on draws it's worth to consider to checkraise a bet from MP (edit: if he has a hand you will beat him) and check/call a bet from the cutoff. But with no reads on the players i prefer simply to bet and expect a call from MP.
As a side note i don't like your flop check on this board.

Trix
03-18-2004, 09:17 AM
CO call-reraised on the flop, so I´m guessing a set or a strong draw.

How would flatcalling the 3bet on the flop and leading the turn and calling down if he raises a blank be ?

Justaloser
03-18-2004, 09:31 AM
As a side note i don't like your flop check on this board.

It wasn't a check, it was a check raise.

Justaloser
03-18-2004, 09:33 AM
In the past, I probably would have just checked here. Not any more!

I bet, both folded.

J.N.
03-18-2004, 09:46 AM
I dont miss that it was a c/r. Precisely I shoud have wrote "I don't like your check with the intention to checkraise on this board".

Justaloser
03-18-2004, 10:40 AM
Precisely I shoud have wrote "I don't like your check with the intention to checkraise on this board".

Please explain.

Trix
03-18-2004, 11:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
In the past, I probably would have just checked here. Not any more!

I bet, both folded.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think that either you are behind or they are on busted draws, so I would rather check-call, inducing a bluff and saving a bet when behind.

brian0729
03-18-2004, 11:25 AM
I know this is going to sound results oriented in this case, but whe I first read this hand. I thought the check/call would be the way to go.

Get the draws or lower pairs to bluff at the pot and avoid the C/R from a 9 or bigger pair. Yes, no maybe?

You didnt collect any bets on the river, I think you can get at least one if you check call, but I may be way off base.

sfer
03-18-2004, 11:49 AM
I read the hands the same as you and Trix: overcards/big pair and busted draw. I wouldn't be concerned about the second 9, though.

I think what flips this into a bet is that MP2 will call with QQ/JJ, and if the CO is calling down with AT/KT/QT you've missed bets. Neither are betting the river after the flop checkraise.

brian0729
03-18-2004, 12:08 PM
I think what flips this into a bet is that MP2 will call with QQ/JJ, and if the CO is calling down with AT/KT/QT you've missed bets. Neither are betting the river after the flop checkraise.

I agree those hands will call. But you C/R the flop and then get 3bet by the CO. He seems to like his hand. You are first to act on the river and if you check it looks like your overcards have not come in. I think QQ, JJ or the other hands will bet the river after you check. I also think they call if you bet, but I would hate to bet and then get raised on this river. It would be a tough laydown at this point. I would rather induce a bluff and pay one bet at the showdown to see his cards.

sfer
03-18-2004, 12:56 PM
I don't think checking looks like missed overcards after checkraising AND capping the flop; I think it looks more like freezing up when the board pairs. I think 2-pair raises the turn so I'm not worried about the 9, and I certainly would not fold to a river raise here regardless.

But I'm on the fence again about inducing a bluff. A bet certainly becomes more likely with 2 opponents, but, damnit, I hate watching the river check through when I have the best hand. I would bet.

Justaloser
03-18-2004, 01:51 PM
But you C/R the flop and then get 3bet by the CO. He seems to like his hand.

FWIW, when he did this, I put him on Axs. He figures he's going to see the river anyway, and the other players aren't going to make it cheap. Why not go ahead and bet. At least that was what I thought.

The reason I bet the river was because I wasnt sure that they would bet. And the rule of thumb for me is if I'm not sure, go ahead and bet. One of the reasons for that was some of my earlier hand posts I kept hearing the same comment...."bet the river" /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I wasn't worried about the 9 on the river. If someone chased with middle pair, then I know more about how they play.

The Dude
03-18-2004, 02:25 PM
You're right, it is very doubtful that the 9 hurt you on the end. Because the 9 is a /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, you don't have to worry about 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gifx /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. The only real plausable hand that a 9 helps is T9, and you were behind here anyway.

If your hand was in trouble you would have been raised on the turn. Plenty of players love to ram and jam the flop with draws, but will slow down on the turn if they don't hit, and that's exactly what it looks like here. If either one of these players had picked up a pair on the turn, or if they're holding a pocket pair they'll call.

Even though they both folded this time, betting out is the right play. It is doubtful that either one of them is going to bluff into you when you capped the flop and bet the turn, and there is another player around, too. As long as you are called by a worse hand twice as often as you are raised by a better hand, your bet is profitable. I think that's the case.