PDA

View Full Version : WPT--special effects.

Zetack
03-17-2004, 08:36 PM
I just watched the Foxwoods show...Do they have a smoke machine going????

Also, I couldn't tell what those vaguely round things they had around the money when they piled it on the table were (I really need a big screen hi-def tv). They looked kinda like clams...but that can't be right can it?

--Zetack

alphamale1
03-17-2004, 09:06 PM
I have seen the WPT live and it sucked, for me.
When you are sitting in the audience the lights would be fanned out into the audience after every hand blinding the audience. The lights would then be returned to the table and do a stupid pattern. I wondered if this bothered the players. It sure as hell bothered me. Won't go see aother one live. Wonder why this bullcrap is necessary. If they want some lighting efx could the do this once live and superimpose if on every deal? Anyways, after seeing on TV versus live, do not know what was gained for home viewers by blinding the audience after every hand.

JoeU
03-18-2004, 12:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Also, I couldn't tell what those vaguely round things they had around the money when they piled it on the table were (I really need a big screen hi-def tv). They looked kinda like clams...but that can't be right can it?

[/ QUOTE ]

You are correct, they were clams, once known to the indians as "wampum".

Joe

Rushmore
03-18-2004, 12:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You are correct, they were clams, once known to the indians as "wampum".

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, it's clamSHELLS that were once known as "wampum."

Clams were--and ARE--I believe, known as "food."

A little obscure folklore.

Zetack
03-18-2004, 03:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Clams were--and ARE--I believe, known as "food."

A little obscure folklore.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, a whole bucket of steamed clams, a pile of boiled shrimp--maybe a few scallops on the side....mmmmm

--Zetack

Rushmore
03-18-2004, 09:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Ah, a whole bucket of steamed clams, a pile of boiled shrimp--maybe a few scallops on the side....mmmmm

[/ QUOTE ]

Throw in a few clams and oysters on the halfshell. Maybe some softshell clams and a good crabcake. Keep the stupid crablegs.

The potential ability to summon this meal for myself at any time I see fit is part of the reason I play poker.

CrisBrown
03-18-2004, 12:02 PM
Hi Rush,

[ QUOTE ]
Throw in a few clams and oysters on the halfshell. Maybe some softshell clams and a good crabcake. Keep the stupid crablegs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmnmmm ... sesame-crusted grilled tuna ... Cajun grouper ratatouille ... baked, stuffed mahi-mahi over angel hair pasta with creamy white wine sauce ... hey, it's Lent and tomorrow is Friday....

Cris

Rushmore
03-18-2004, 12:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hmnmmm ... sesame-crusted grilled tuna ... Cajun grouper ratatouille ... baked, stuffed mahi-mahi over angel hair pasta with creamy white wine sauce ... hey, it's Lent and tomorrow is Friday....

[/ QUOTE ]

Beautiful. I would only add the perpetual red-headed stepchild, the lovely eel, known as unagi (fresh-water) or anago (sea eel) to the Japanese.

And, therefore, known to me as well. Yum.

MicroBob
03-18-2004, 02:42 PM
"(I really need a big screen hi-def tv)."

you're not going to tell much difference in this program with an HDTV.
SOME sports and SOME movies are broadcast in HDTV where you will DEFINATELY tell a difference.....but most programs are not broadcast in that format so you're watching it the same way as the rest of us (albeit on a bigger screen...but without the extra HDTV resolution).

when ESPN broadcasts a game in HDTV they make a point of telling you it's in HDTV about a zillion times....but they still have just as many games that aren't in HDTV.
for this spring and summer...i suspect EVERY Sunday Night Baseball game will be in HDTV....but i bet a lot of the mid-week games will NOT be in HDTV.

i know a couple of people who either have HDTV or have watched a game or two on it and they say the difference is incredible (you can see the seems on the baseball...or the individual blades of grass on the field....etc etc).

scotnt73
03-18-2004, 02:48 PM
dont you also need a hd converter besides the tv to actually watch hd? or am i mistaken?

Hiding
03-18-2004, 10:14 PM
Some TV's need a converter, but you need a cable or satellite HDTV reciever to get a signal.

baggins
03-19-2004, 05:02 AM
give me some!!! I love that stuff.