PDA

View Full Version : Talked into three-betting ATo?

ElSapo
03-17-2004, 06:30 PM
A few orbits earlier someone commented on how tight I play. We joked around a bit, whatever, but it kind of stayed in my head. Then this play came up. I felt strongly that the guy was raising light here, but he certainly wasn't maniaical or anything. I felt like he was just an average player taking a shot.

However, I also wondered if somehow I'd let the earlier chat talk me into this play.

And then the turn play came along and made me rethink his "steal"...

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 raises, Hero 3-bets, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, MP2 calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
MP2 checks, Hero bets, MP2 calls.

Turn: (4.75 BB) 8/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
MP2 checks, Hero bets, MP2 raises, Hero calls.

River: (8.75 BB) A/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
MP2 checks, Hero bets...

Final Pot: 10.75 BB

On a side note, I've split seven pots today, including, but not limited to:

--AK on an ace board
--57 on a 57267 board
--JQ for the nut straight
--AT on a T-high board

I thought this was funny.

WDC
03-17-2004, 07:06 PM
Most likely if I consider this guy an average player with basic knowledge of preflop holdings I will not call the raise with A-10 off. I would three bet it if he was a maniac.

Since it is heads up when it gets back to him pre-flop and he just calls you can conclude that 1) he was raising light; 2) that he has a big pair (queens or better) or 3) that he has a AK or AQ and is a little weak-tight.

Flop comes raggedy but gives you top pair. He checks you bet he calls. At this point I am going to discount that he had a mid pocket pair. I think that any pocket pair under 10's takes a shot at this flop. I think that JJ's and Queens will most likely bet this flop also. I would bet it with K's and A's also. I might check call TT and also AK or AQ.

The turn brings an undercard and two clubs and you get check raised. Know I am putting him on KK or AA or AFace or clubs. I think it is about 50% call or raise. I do not fold.

When checked to on the river. I bet and call a raise.

My guess is that he folded to you bet.

Yeknom58
03-17-2004, 08:16 PM
I would have waited to "mix it up" and 3-bet with something like 78s or JTs. Personal preference aside, I think you played this pretty well.

This is a good example of why you need to ask yourself how your opponent views you. This guy thinks you're super tight and he only called your 3-bet preflop. I'm thinking he still caps with AA-KK, AK. So not knowing anything about this guy I'm guessing he has something like AQ-J, KQ, QQ-88.

He checkraised you on the turn and "KNOWS" you 3-bet preflop with premium holding. So this CR means he thinks you have AK/Q and you only have Ace high or he has a made hand. That would tell me he probalby has nothing or a set/overpair.

On the river he checked to you. I don't think he's going for the infamous double CR so I think the narrows his range of hands to JJ-QQ or nothing. I think he calls wih JJ-QQ and folds otherwise.

blackaces13
03-17-2004, 08:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm with that guess. He took a shot at you on the turn and now he folds. He had AK AQ or more likely a club flush draw.

The Dude
03-17-2004, 08:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
You guys missed the size of the final pot. It's exactly 2 BB larger than it was going into the river. That means villian just called your river bet.

I think villian showed QQ and your 2 pair is good.

blackaces13
03-17-2004, 08:41 PM
99 sounds reasonable as well. Maybe he was checking to see if you really had a 10 or better on the turn. I still feel like he mucked em.

JTG51
03-18-2004, 01:43 AM
If you really think he's raising light, your play is fine.

ElSapo
03-18-2004, 11:04 AM
I bet, he called, and he showed Q8o. I liked his turn check-raise, since following the discussion of me being tight he may think I could lay down a hand here, which I considered.

My main question was three-betting with AT, which is probably pretty borderline. But it's based on a read...

...I was thinking about this last night while downing my third shot (yeah, no idea why this popped into my head), and I know this is obvious but: If you simply rotate the seats, the play becomes more or less automatic. He's UTG and I'm UTG+1? It sucks. He's SB and I'm BB? It's automatic. So as you rotate, it becomes stronger and less of a questionable play. I think as we were seated, I was right on the margin here, and pretty happy with how the hand played.

And then the night gets hazy, the shots kept coming, someone knew the bartender, she kept pouring, I covered on the NIT game, played some pool, Wizards win (!), St. Patrick's is ameteur's night like dinner out on the weekend, a beer or four, pizza at midnight, delays on the metro this morning and my third cup of coffee now, March Madness begins for real and the weekend is almost here.

El Sapo

CrackerZack
03-18-2004, 11:07 AM
real light. Post flop is all good.