PDA

View Full Version : Getting re-raised with AQo

PrayingMantis
03-17-2004, 06:16 PM
33$ SNG, pretty early, blinds 25/50, I'm third with 2175. This is a relatively passive table, with many limpers PF.

I'm BB holding AQo. 3 limpers and SB completes. I've played it rather tight until then, so I decide to try and take the pot right here, and make it 300. Folded to MP (860 after limping), who pushes. It's folded to me.

I don't have a strong read on him, but he was playing rather loose until now. Of course it looks like a big pair, limping-pushing like this, but I've seen this move with all sorts of pairs too, 88-JJ, especially by shorter stacks. And another thing, I havn't seen people do it too often with AK.

If he had a bigger stack, I would have folded without thinking much. But what's my move here?

craig r
03-17-2004, 07:01 PM
The thing I don't understand is why he would limp-re-raise here. The limp-raise option is not bad when you have a lot of people to act behind you, but he only has one (you). So, why wouldn't he raise before you acted; there is a very good chance that you would not raise, except for a very big hand since you are in the BB. This would make me very skeptical about the strength of his hand. But, on the flip side, AQ is not that great. You are most likely behind or a small favorite (i am sure you already know that). He could easily have 99 or TT. If you lose, you are basically back to where you started the tournament and if you win you will have about 3200. I think it is about a coinflip at this point, but you should probably fold and wait for a better situation. Just my thouhgts.

craig

PrayingMantis
03-17-2004, 07:19 PM
Thanks for the reply, but I'm not sure what you mean by...

[ QUOTE ]
The limp-raise option is not bad when you have a lot of people to act behind you, but he only has one (you).

[/ QUOTE ]

He was MP, or more specifically, UTG+3 : UTG folded, UTG+1 limped, UTG+2 folded, and my opponent, UTG+3, limped. There was another limper (CO) and SB. So he had more than only me behind him.

But yes, when I come to think of it, this is also not typical to a strong hand, limping *behind* EP limper, in a table with very few PF raises, if at all.

Regarding my chances: I realized I'm a big dog or a very small dog probably, and not better, but I had 2.2:1 on the pot, which is very good if he's able to do this with hands like AJ, 88-JJ. That's why I didn't think folding is an easy option...

craig r
03-17-2004, 07:39 PM
sorry, i misread the post. i thought it was the SB who re-raised. i know you are getting good odds on calling, but i think you should fold and save your money for a better situation.

craig

PrayingMantis
03-18-2004, 06:38 AM
I decided to gamble at that point, and go for the big pot. I guess it was a pretty close decision, and probably a mistake.

He showed AK and took it down. That was actually the hand I least expected. I was more ready to see QQ-AA here, or some smaller pairs.

PrayingMantis