PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Question: Plz Explain "Value Bet"

BIGRED
03-17-2004, 04:32 PM
I see this term used a lot in hand discussions here and I just want to make sure I understand. I asked this question in another post as a side question, but didn't get any helpful replies so I decided to post again in a new thread. I have also done a search but I didn't come across anything that defined it.

I see this term used during River Bet discussions where you most likely have the winning hand, but a scare card fell on the river that might have beat you. The typical example seems to be when a third flush card falls on your "good" hand on the river and you have one other opponent. And now you're not sure if you are beat by a flush.

Most of you say bet the river for "value" because more likely than not you will get called by a hand that you can beat. But what if you get raised? Does betting for "value" mean that you should be prepared to fold to a raise? Or do you still call?

pudley4
03-17-2004, 04:53 PM
You decide beforehand whether you'll call or fold to a raise, and then factor the extra cost into your decision

WillMagic
03-17-2004, 04:57 PM
This is covered in HPFAP, but you make a value bet when you think there is over a 50% chance that you will have the best hand IF YOU ARE CALLED. The fact that you make a value bet on the river does not force you into an action if an opponent raises you.

When an opponent raises you after you've made a value bet, you look at the odds the pot is offering you, and then decide what kind of hand your opponent could have. If your opponent is tricky and might go for a bluffraise here, then the call is easy. Often, however, you find yourself against predictable opponents, and most players won't raise on the river without very strong hands.

So it depends. There's no cut and dried answer. Figure out your opponents probable hands, compare the pot odds to the odds you are going to win the pot, and then make a decision.

Will

JTG51
03-18-2004, 01:54 AM
Does betting for "value" mean that you should be prepared to fold to a raise? Or do you still call?

Not necessarily. A value bet is simply a bet that you want to be called, while a bluff is obviously a bet that you don't want to be called.

When you bet the nuts you are making a value bet. When someone talks about a thin value bet it means that they have a marginal hand that they think is only a slight favorite.

Nottom
03-18-2004, 04:29 AM
I think the simplest definition of a value bet is a bet that is +EV when called.

It doesn't have to win money that hand, but if you bet in that same situation 1000s of times you should expect to make money in the long term.

Nottom
03-18-2004, 04:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
So it depends. There's no cut and dried answer. Figure out your opponents probable hands, compare the pot odds to the odds you are going to win the pot, and then make a decision.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pot odds have pretty much nothing to do with value betting.

**well I suppose indirectly they do, since people are more likely to pay you off with worse hands in big pots.