PDA

View Full Version : JTs -on the button (first to act)

AceFace
03-17-2004, 03:20 PM
In the early/mid stages of a NLHE, what would be the right play with an uncalled pot - call, fold, raise ? If I raise with JTs, what would be the right amount? Assume 50/100 blinds, and 2000 average stack.

thx

curmudgeon
03-17-2004, 03:30 PM
Make your normal raise 3xBB (300) steal those blinds. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Bigwig
03-17-2004, 03:47 PM
I agree with curmudgeon. Don't make a small raise, that'll be broadcasting the type of hand that you have. A small raise with KK would be better. But make a reg raise. This way, you're representing an A hand. If someone calls, you are in position to bluff if you miss the flop, and if the flop hits, you are in prime position to slow play, as your opponent will be looking for A 10, or KQ or 77.

AceFace
03-17-2004, 03:55 PM
3xBB = 2x current pot $ize. So you're saying this would be a typical, normal raise. I'm just trying to gauge what "normal" means in these situations.

alieneyes
03-17-2004, 04:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
3xBB = 2x current pot $ize. So you're saying this would be a typical, normal raise. I'm just trying to gauge what "normal" means in these situations.

[/ QUOTE ]

A normal no limit raise is to 3-4 BB. Usually there is a standard raise at your table that gets the job done. The two main keys are the raises must be consistent (raise the same with AA or 82o) and enough to be effective (ie don't raise the minimum unless the blinds are really high and people will actually folder). The raises should be adjusted upwards if there are callers.

cferejohn
03-17-2004, 06:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

To make a a pot sized raise, you must first call the bet to you (in this case 1BB) and *then* raise whatever is in the pot *after* your call (another 2.5BB), making a pot sized raise in a pot no one has entered other than the blinds 3.5xBB.

Also, in NL poker the implied odds for hitting a drawing hand are huge (i.e. the entire stack of the other player), so if you want someone to fold anything other than total crap to your raise, you need to make it for more than the minimum.

Easy E
03-18-2004, 06:31 PM
and pray I don't get a reraise

AceFace
03-19-2004, 03:51 PM
If the reraise was the minimum, would you consider calling?

Would the implied odds with JTs be enough?