PDA

View Full Version : Canadian mining threatens Flathead

Ed I
03-17-2004, 11:11 AM
An effort to tap Canadian coalbed methane reserves has resurrected decades-old fears that mining pollutants might flushsouth of the border, contaminating waters from Glacier National Park to Flathead Lake.

"Certainly, the area that the British Columbia government has targeted for a massive, vast coalbed methane field does cover the Flathead," said David Thomas. "This risk is very real to dowstream communities." Thomas is a city councilman in Fernie, B.C, where he says there's a "definite feeling of concern and unease" regarding the Canadian coalbed methane proposal.

"From the American perspective," he said, "this will have a far greater impact on water quality, wildlife and environment than any drilling in the Artic National Wildlife Refuge."

And in addition to the Canadian coalbed methane proposal. Montana water quality watch dogs received word this week that old coal tunnels just north of Glacier National Park will be reopened next month as British Columbia seeks high grade coal for export.

Full story www.missoulian.com (http://www.missoulian.com)

rusty JEDI
03-18-2004, 04:30 AM
Americans finally getting a taste of their own medicine.

Ray Zee
03-18-2004, 09:48 AM
all too true rusty. we spill our trash all over the world and then cry when someone does it to us. but then again all countries and people are like that.

the problem for me is that i live on that river.

whiskeytown
03-18-2004, 10:21 AM
not worried.....I'm sure our administration would never put profit and business ahead of the environment... - we're already probably looking at ways we can reward a conservationsist mentality that will protect the rights and access of civilians and responsible living without giving up our quality of life to corporate fat cats...

oh wait...I forgot... - George W. Bush is president... - we're screwed....

move, Ray. - do what my Dad does and move to the west side of the valley -

RB

Ray Zee
03-18-2004, 04:36 PM
RB, the west side of the valley is getting full. if you havent been here for awhile you would see its like the gold rush with development around here.

whiskeytown
03-18-2004, 07:41 PM
oh yah...I still make it every year....West Valley School can't build fast enough for all the new subdivisions...

thank God we've had 200 acres since the 1900's - otherwise we could never afford to live there...

RB