PDA

View Full Version : Mucked TPTK on the river for 1 bet.

Trix
03-17-2004, 11:06 AM
Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) -CO is very loose.

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO calls, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, UTG calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls, UTG folds.

Turn: (4.75 BB) 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls.

River: (6.75 BB) 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">CO raises</font>, Hero folds.

I see people slowplay their hands all they way to the river all the time and I dont think that he would make this raise with a worse hand. I also dont think he will checkraise bluff here often enough to make it a good call.
I put him on 2 random hearts: 70%. 87,76,88,77,66,A6,A7,A8,JT: 25%. bluff, missclick, random stupid checkraise, some weird hand I can beat: 5%, so my pot odds werent good enough for calling...

Final Pot: 9.75 BB

Comments ?

sfer
03-17-2004, 12:08 PM
If you're concerned about a slowplayed flush, why not check/call the river? I would want to showdown.

colgin
03-17-2004, 01:19 PM
If you weren't going to call a raise on the river, I think you should have check-called here, particularly because you had a pretty thin value bet anyway. (I think this is a situation where you are better off trying to induce a bluff from a worse hand than trying to get it to call a bet.) With the pot odds you are getting I call here anyway since I have seen enough bluff raises on the river in these types of situations (possible straight and flush out there) that I think a call is profitable. Plus, you get the added value of showing you won't make a big laydown to a river raise.

spamuell
03-17-2004, 01:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
CO is very loose.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't mention his aggression factor, but unless he was extremely passive, his looseness alone would probably have led me to call the river, as he could easily be bluff raising a missed flush/straight draw.

slogger
03-17-2004, 02:16 PM
I agree w/ most other posters here. If I'm going to fold to a raise, then I'm usually going to check-call.

Also, once you're faced with the raise, hands opponent could have include AK, AJ, AT, or even a weaker ace - maybe he put you on a pocket pair like KK, JJ or TT. I think it would be a bad read on his part, but you could be value betting with a big/medium pair hoping that the missed flush draw w/ or w/o a trashy pair will call the river. Either way, I think you're good here at least 1 in 10 times, which is enough.

lil'
03-17-2004, 02:23 PM
For one bet, I'd call this. I don't like making "big" folds like this on the river.

MRBAA
03-17-2004, 02:36 PM
Good folds + Party 2-4 = Leakage

sthief09
03-17-2004, 03:33 PM
No one mentioned the future value of this play. If you are betting a weak hand, your few observant opponents might try to pop you on the river and get you off the hand. I think this is something that should be considered.

Trix
03-17-2004, 07:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you're concerned about a slowplayed flush, why not check/call the river? I would want to showdown.

[/ QUOTE ]
I wasnŽt conserned till he raised me. I think there are enough worse hands that he would call with to make it a good valuebet.

Trix
03-17-2004, 07:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No one mentioned the future value of this play. If you are betting a weak hand, your few observant opponents might try to pop you on the river and get you off the hand. I think this is something that should be considered.

[/ QUOTE ] I dont think that is a problem as IŽll often win a bet more if they start doing that.

Trix
03-17-2004, 07:45 PM
He actually showed 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif , so the fold was good this time and IŽll probably make it again unless I have some reason to believe that he will bluff more than usual.

ropey
03-17-2004, 08:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think there are enough worse hands that he would call with to make it a good valuebet.

[/ QUOTE ]
Lets forget about that for a second...

You mentioned that you thought you could only beat about 5% of the hands he would call with. So the obvious question is why even bet it in the first place?

If he is on a draw (maybe with a lone hear) he isn't going to call your bet anyway (no value there). There is a "70%" chance he already has a flush...in that case he is either going to call or raise (clearly not worth it)...this just seems like an obvious check-call situation to me...there is very little if any value in betting.

-ropey

Trix
03-17-2004, 08:10 PM
I didnŽt put him on that range of hands untill after he checkraised..