PDA

View Full Version : Thin the Field or Thin My Bankroll

Festus22
03-17-2004, 09:33 AM
Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif in the BB.

5 limpers including the SB. I check.

Flop [Q /images/graemlins/club.gif 10 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif]. SB checks, I check planning on check-raising an LP bet and knocking out a few players. It checks around.

Turn 10 /images/graemlins/heart.gif. SB checks, I waiver between the bet and check button and decide to check and see what develops. One more check, MP bets, gets 1 caller and back to me. I decide to fold.

River is a blank. MP bets and gets called. MP shows A-4 and takes it down with 10's and 4's.

Did I bomb this one or what? I know I've read quite a few posts advocating the flop thin-the-field check-raise but that move has failed SO many times I think I'm going to give it up. And the more I think about it, I can't recall it ever actually working! Why not just bet out and keep betting until someone gives me reason not to.

Anyone have any pros and cons to either of these plays?

StellarWind
03-17-2004, 09:50 AM
I bet the flop every time. You are hopeful you have the best hand but often you don't. The problem is not merely that the checkraise gives a lot of free cards. The problem is it gives most of those free card when you are *ahead*. When you are behind someone bets and you play the flop for two bets. The mathematical consequences of this are very ugly.

Your turn play smacks of provoking a bluff and then folding when someone bets.

scotnt73
03-17-2004, 09:55 AM
i think that at these limits 99% of all check-raises should not be done. If you never check raise again it will +EV. i dont understand the check raise to thin the field move at micro limits. have you ever seen a micro limit player who would call one bet and then fold to a checkraise? i know you meant that you were hoping a lp player would bet so it would be 2 bets 2 everyone but what makes you so sure it will be LP? if i want to clear the field i bet here. i quit checkraising 2 months ago except in the rare vs maniac+other trapped player case and ive never regretted(sp?) it.

Festus22
03-17-2004, 10:07 AM
On the turn, I either give him credit for a 10 and fold or I don't and raise. Betting out would have been better though. Did I mention I totally bombed this one?

It's funny how every now and then you have some kind of brain lock and play a hand just hideously. I also think doing this kind of idiot play is a result of playing multiple tables. Last night I was trying 4 tables at once for the first time and I think that was too many. But the initial jump from 2 to 3 was similar. It just takes time to get used to it. But no doubt you give up some EV when you aren't following the action precisely.

Tosh
03-17-2004, 11:02 AM
I bet this flop and hope to take it down right there. I would probably bet the turn again if noone raise and a couple dropped out.

Trix
03-17-2004, 11:48 AM
You save a bet when you can checkfold, by going for the CR, also people will often missread your hand on the turn if its checked through on the flop and you bet a blank.

Bet turn and fold to a raise.

Warik
03-17-2004, 12:05 PM
I never check-raise to knock people out in micro. The logic there is "I've already put in one bet, I might as well see the next card" almost 99% of the time. I only check-raise for value in the sense that if I bet and everyone calls, I'll make a MAXIMUM of 1 SB per person, whereas if someone ELSE bets and everyone calls, and I raise, I make a MINIMUM of 1 SB per person.

Check-raising in my experience has been more effective in getting money into the pot rather than getting people out of it as far as microlimits go.