PDA

View Full Version : 88-turning a set, but is it GOOD?

PAUL-IN
03-17-2004, 09:16 AM
2-4 NL. i have about $760 only 6 players. i get 88 in UTG+1 and limp. all fold to button who calls, sb and BB are in.

flop is 5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif. UGH.

BB bets 8, i raise to 24, all fold to BB, and calls.

turn: 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. he bets 8 again. i raised to 24 again. his small bet seemed weak here, like two pair...but he calls.

river: T /images/graemlins/spade.gif. ARGH. he checks, i check.

how was my play here?

NaobisDad
03-17-2004, 09:55 AM
I've been in situations like this, although that Ten on the river really kills it. All I can say is that it 'll cost you a lot of money.

My opinion is that once the flush drops you can't be too sure of your hand. That basically means you want a showdown cheap. But this isn't limit.

A flop like this is likely to hit the blinds as well. So how strong is your overpair + OESD here? And did you really improve on the turn. Guess it depends on who you're playing. I've been in situations where I layed this down on the turn even after showing strenght on the flop without a moment's hesitation.

His bet of $8 seems weak compared to your stack, but it's about the size of the pot. So that's reasonable. Looks like he didn't want you to fold though. How tricky is this player? I have to say that it almost looks like he wanted you to raise. And when he made the same play on the turn, the same comes to mind. As if he was building a pot.

Can't make sense of his river check in this light though. Might be he was trying for a check raise, feeling certain you would take a stab at it after raising twice. Maybe he's on two pair in fear of a flush or straight.

I can't really judge your play here. I think i'd 've been a little less aggressive, but on the flop your hand is really strong.

On the turn, if you wanted this guy to fold, you should've bet something like the pot imo, maybe even overbet it. Either that or call down. You played somewhere in between. Doesn't seem to selfassured.

Diplomat
03-17-2004, 11:56 AM
I have no idea why the ten is a scare card. If he has a nine, he made a straight on the turn. (or 'ARGH' because you did not fill..?)

That said, I'd still check behind in case he does have a nine and is scared of a flush...unless I felt I could push him off a straight with a big bet.

-Diplomat

PAUL-IN
03-17-2004, 01:17 PM
no the T wasn't a scare card for me, if he had a straight, he had it on the turn. didn't like the river as it didn't fill me up. i was pretty sure that he did not have a flush though, or he would have raised me on the turn....this was his second full reload/rebuy, and he played pretty straightforward, so the consecutive $8 bets looked weak.

i thought he might have had Ad8x, or flopped two pair with that $8 bet on turn.....wasn't convinced he had a straight..
i was expecting a semi post oak play on the river, like $4 or another 8 on river to string me along..

turns out he had 66. got lucky.

muzungu
03-17-2004, 09:12 PM
Paul-

Seems sort of oddly played by both of you.

Q1: Why doesn't he reraise the flop? Does he really think you have the str8, or is he slowplaying? If the former, that's really weak-tight, and if the latter, he shouldn't be slowplaying on such a coordinated board. You don't give his stack size, but I'd pop it to $80 or so here- his flat call is letting you see another card for cheap, and from his prespective its quite possible that you are drawing.

Q2: What's up with your baby raise on the turn? If he's still drawing, (say, with A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif7x, or something), you let him see a card for cheap. If he has a smaller set and is planning to call, you aren't getting much value here. And if he has the flush (or even the str8), you're reopening the betting for him. I'd agree that his $8 bet looks weak here, but why not make it $50 or so? Alternately if you think he's trapping and might reraise the turn, then maybe just call his $8 and hope to fill up or get to a showdown for cheap. But don't do anything in between.

Seems like a pretty easy river check. There are plenty of hands that beat you, and there aren't that many weaker hands that call a decent value bet (although he happens to be holding one of them).

-muz

PAUL-IN
03-18-2004, 01:42 AM
thanks. but i was confused by his action on the turn. $8 into a $60 pot? against a stronger player i would have maybe just called or folded, but to him, i was pretty sure he didn't have a flush or a straight...just wasn't sure..24 raise was reflex and i shoulda thought more about it, but what if he repoped me on turn? easy fold right?