PDA

View Full Version : KK - Call, Call, Call?

Festus22
03-17-2004, 09:11 AM
Empire pre-crash.

K /images/graemlins/spade.gif K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif in MP.

Short-stacked UTG (8 BB's) open raises. He hasn't been too out of line so I'm guessing he has something reasonable. Folded to me and I 3-bet, SB calls and UTG calls.

Flop [J /images/graemlins/club.gif 10 /images/graemlins/club.gif 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif]. SB checks, UTG bets, I call, SB calls. I was planning on raising the turn if a blank hit.

Turn J /images/graemlins/heart.gif. This does not meet my blank criteria. SB checks, UTG bets, I call, SB folds.

River 9 /images/graemlins/club.gif. This board just keeps getting better /images/graemlins/crazy.gif. UTG bets, I call.

I was thinking this was one of those way ahead or way behind hands that calling lost the least if behind or gained the most if UTG was betting an inferior hand.

Thoughts?

PAUL-IN
03-17-2004, 09:31 AM
if you lost he just got lucky. you did all you could to make him lay down an inferior hand, maybe a raise on the flop is in order, but you played the hand overall well.

Trix
03-17-2004, 11:52 AM
Not in a 3person pot.
Raise flop and make SB fold if he holds a gutshot or a pair.

MrDannimal
03-17-2004, 12:41 PM
I'd raise the flop. I don't think the J is a huge problem on the turn, if you're 3-bet you can probably fold.

I'm starting to learn not to worry as much about flopped flush draws in relation to a PF raiser. I mean, at worst 25% of the time will the PF raiser hit a 4 flush, assuming he was playing XXs and not a pair.

I'd have to be more likely to put UTG on overcards or an overpair then I would a flush draw or a set at this point. Since YOU have an overpair, you're in good shape.

Raising the flop helps play the rest of the hand, too. If he just calls the raise and bets out or C/Rs the turn, you can think he has a J. You can also knock out the SB, who might be on that flush draw.

I don't disagree that this loses the least if you're behind. But what are you behind on the flop that UTG wouldn't have capped with? JJ-99, KQs mostly. Would he have bet out any of those?

I think he could easily have been betting a worse hand and you could have gotten more out of him with a raise.

StellarWind
03-17-2004, 01:05 PM
Trix is exactly right. Not in a multiway pot.

SB makes money off your failure to raise if he has one pair (J, T, or 9), a gutshot (K or 7), or OESD (Q, 8, or K7). The OESD part is true because his outs are tainted by your kings and he doesn't have his normal 2-1 chance to win.