PDA

View Full Version : Preflop betting ?

krazyace5
03-17-2004, 03:06 AM
Is it best to always bet the same amount preflop no matter what you are opening with?

SpaceAce
03-17-2004, 03:50 AM
I don't like to speak in absolutes so I won't say it is always best to bet or raise the same amount no matter what you're holding but as a rule if I am opening for Yx the big blind with AQo, I am also opening for Yx the big blind with AK, AA, KK, QQ, JJ and so on. I try not to give any information to my opponents with my pre-flop action.

SpaceAce

C M Burns
03-17-2004, 03:57 AM
I generally base it on how many are in the pot, 0-2 limpers 3xbb, (unless only blinds are left, then 4x), 3 or more uually 4x, if there are many people or a raise i'd bet based on the pot size, my thinking is i want to give everyone involved at least a chance to fold.

muzungu
03-17-2004, 04:04 AM
krazy-

I'll vary my opening bets with respect to the opposition and to my position, but I then make that same opening bet with each and every holding that I bet/raise with.

Thus, I'll increase the amount I bet relative to the blinds when I'm playing at a loose table, or after several limpers, and I'll overbet the pot when I'm playing big pairs from the blinds (to compensate for being out of position the rest of the hand). However, in the last situation I'll make the same raise with AA-QQ, AA-JJ, or whatever set of hands I've decided to raise from the blinds given the current table dynamic.

jdl22
03-17-2004, 06:29 AM
I'm sure you've heard this before, but what are your stats for AQo if you raise it as though the queen were an ace? What do you do if someone reraises you?

Just curious because AQo is currently in the red for me.

SpaceAce
03-17-2004, 07:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm sure you've heard this before, but what are your stats for AQo if you raise it as though the queen were an ace? What do you do if someone reraises you?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't have PokerTracker so the honest answer is I don't know how AQo fares for me. I will say this, though, I am happy when I get it and it doesn't seem like a problem hand for me. Hands like KJ and JQ I can tell are leaks for me so I stay away from them. I've never felt like that about AQ.

I don't raise AQ like AA, I raise everything like AA [everything I plan to raise at all, anyway]. Unless there is some specific situation that calls for me to alter my play, I try to be consistent with my raises. What I do with a reraise depends on the raiser and how much. I won't call off a bunch of money with AQ unless the raiser is a bonehead. I also won't cold-call any significant raise with AQo if the opponent is reasonable.

I think the trick with AQo is being able to get away from it. If I raise with AQo and get reraised by a reasonable opponent, I can get away from the hand without too much trouble. Likewise, when I flop an Ace I am very much aware that I do not even have the best possible Ace so it is not hard to let go of the hand if I need to. If I flop a Queen, I know it's just a Queen. I think AQo is OK, especially in games where the stacks aren't particularly deep.

SpaceAce

prairieboy
03-17-2004, 11:56 AM
No it isn't "best", but it is much better than having an identifiable pattern to your raise amounts (e.g. small raises with big pairs, big raises with AK/AQ etc.)

Personally I try to raise the same amount most of the time, but (playing online) if I happen to move the bar over to $6 or $4 rather than my usual $5 I'll let it stand.

I also like to raise more if other players have limped in ahead of me.

CrisBrown
03-17-2004, 02:10 PM
Hi krazy,

I don't raise the same amount every time I open-raise, but the differences are based on the situation and not on what I'm holding. As a general rule, I'll open-raise for 4xBB. But I'll add 1xBB to that for each limper if there's more than one limper in the pot. So if I'm open-raising vs. two limpers, it'll be 5xBB. I'll also add 1xBB if I'm raising from the blinds.

So if I'm going to raise from the SB vs. two limpers, it will be to 6xBB, regardless of what hand I'm raising with. This adds deception to my play. An observant player who figures out my "formula" will know that the amount of the raise is purely situational, and not based on my cards. But many (most?) players won't figure it out, and they'll be trying to guess which hands I play for which raises. And to that extent, it serves as disinformation.

Cris

SpaceAce
03-18-2004, 08:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have an answer for you, now. AQo is +1.76 big bets/hand for me in the PartyPoker no limit games.

SpaceAce