PDA

View Full Version : Super to the WPT SNG (LONG, quite interesting) PART ONE

Tyler Durden
03-17-2004, 02:25 AM
This was a one table SNG on Stars. 9 players, winner gets a seat in the supersatellite. That seat is worth $1,150.

The SNG was $130+$10. It was probably the most interesting SNG I've ever played, and I've played a whole lot of them since I started playing cards nearly two years ago. You've been warned, this is a long post. I've included all of the interesting hands.

HAND ONE
5th hand. Blinds are T10/T20. We started with T1500, I have T1490. I'm UTG+2 with KK. UTG folds, I make a pot-sized raise to T70. Both guys right after me coldcall. It's a three way flop with T240 in the pot. Flop comes T-4-2 rainbow. I bet T175. They both fold.

HAND TWO
Three hands later I get QQ in the SB. A bad player limps in EP, and the weak button also limps. Same blind level, I raise it to T140, they both fold.

The hands get more interesting as we go along, I promise.

HAND THREE
A few hands later I get KK in LP. Blinds are T15/T30. I have T1700. EP raises it to T120. Folded to me and I make it T500. They all fold.

HAND FOUR
Blinds are T25/T50. I have built my stack to T1900. My main opponent in this hand has T1300. He raises UTG to T150. The SB calls. I am the BB with JJ. I decide I have to reraise, so I make it T650. UTG thinks a while and moves in, the SB folds and it's on me. I'm getting about 3.5 to 1 and I think I can't turn those odds down. But if I call and lose, I'll be down to T565, which isn't good. Still, I think I have to call with those odds. So I call, he has QQ and I don't catch. Tough hand.

HAND FIVE
A few hands later the blinds are T50/T100 and I have T440. I get KQ in the SB. We're 7 handed. A weak player limps in MP, folded to me and I move in. The BB (the QQ guy from earlier) moves in also. Yikes. But he only has 88 and I win the coin flip. Now I have T980, which makes me 5th of 7 players.

HAND SIX
A few hands later, same blind level, I get AJ UTG+1. I move in for T980. An MP who has me covered and has been sitting out for most of the SNG calls. Surprisingly, he only has 76s and I win. Now I have T2110 and I'm 3rd of 7.

HAND SEVEN
Same blind level, down to 6 players, I have T2000 which makes me 4th place. I have AQ UTG+1 and raise to T350. The button coldcalls. His stack was also T2000 when this hand started. He's the one who called my all-in raise with 76s. Flop comes KK3 with two clubs and I don't have one. I bet T600 into a pot of T850. He folds. Yay.

HAND EIGHT
Now it's a few hands later and the blinds are T75/T150. I have T2500, which makes me 3rd of 6. My opponent in this hand is the chip leader with T4000. He makes a minimum raise in MP. I call from the BB with JdTd. Flop comes Q64 w/ one diamond and two clubs. I check. The pot has T675 in it. He bets a pathetic T150. I think about checkraising b/c that's a weak bet but instead I decide to fold.

HAND NINE
Now we're 4 handed. Blinds are T100/T200 and I'm the shortstack with T1800. Two players have over T4000. I'm the SB with T8s. Folded to me and I move in on one of the big stacks. He folds.

HAND TEN
Same blind level, I am the short stack with a little over T2000. Still four handed. One guy limps on the button, the SB completes, I'm the BB with A3 and I move in. Both fold.

HAND ELEVEN
Same blind level, approximately same stacks, I'm still the short man. Folded to me in the SB and I move in on one of the T4,000 guys. I have 44. He folds.

HAND TWELVE
Still 4 handed, blinds are T100/T200, same stacks pretty much. I have T2600 UTG w/ A9. I raise to T750. Button coldcalls. Not good!
Flop comes 5-3-2. I think too long and then decide to move in for T1800, which is about two-thirds of this guy's stack. He quickly folds.

That's all for now. I'll post the rest of this interesting SNG tomorrow.

Comments on these hands will be greatly appreciated. thanks for reading Part One!

DOTTT
03-17-2004, 12:58 PM
I like the way you played most of these hands. The ones I don't like are 4 and 6. I hate the re raise from the bb because of the terrible position, but once he pushed in I don’t see how you can fold. I had a similar hand where I was in the bb with jj and a mp player raised, and got a caller from lp player who was all in. I tried to push mp out the hand by raising all in myself, but he ended up calling with qq. For me jj is one of the hardest hands to play in any position.

I also don't like the push with AJ in ep (I’m guessing it was still 7 handed) you'll steal the blinds more often then not, but the one time you get called you are very likely to be beat. I still can’t believe he called you with 76???

Tyler Durden
03-17-2004, 04:20 PM
On Hand Four, I think my only real options are reraising or moving all-in. But moving in would be fishy, as I'm risking my stack to win T300. A good player would realize that I'm making that play with a hand that I don't like playing. KK and AA can usually be safely ruled out.
A flat call would be terrible out of position.

NotMitch
03-17-2004, 04:53 PM
Would you feel the same way about TT?

alieneyes
03-17-2004, 05:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
On Hand Four, I think my only real options are reraising or moving all-in. But moving in would be fishy, as I'm risking my stack to win T300. A good player would realize that I'm making that play with a hand that I don't like playing. KK and AA can usually be safely ruled out.
A flat call would be terrible out of position.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see how the flat call is so bad, you get a multi way pot and no matter what you flop you check to the raiser (set, over pair). If the small blind bets out and you have an over pair, you can raise to isolate him.

Tyler Durden
03-17-2004, 05:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't see how the flat call is so bad, you get a multi way pot and no matter what you flop you check to the raiser (set, over pair). If the small blind bets out and you have an over pair, you can raise to isolate him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, you might be right.

DOTTT
03-17-2004, 06:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A flat call would be terrible out of position

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to disagree; you flat call because you are out of position. Why commit a lot of chips with jacks and in terrible position? If he calls your raise and over cards flop you are foing to be in a very tough spot.