PDA

View Full Version : BRIDGE PLAYER IS STRIPPED OF MEDAL FOR REFUSING DRUG TEST...

Frozen
03-17-2004, 12:19 AM
The WSOP & WPT never do this BS, right?

http://www.mapinc.org/drugnews/v02.n1632.a09.html

The world of bridge was in uproar yesterday after a drug scandal at the world open championships in Montreal.

Disa Eythorsdottir, an American professional, was stripped of her silver medal for refusing to take a drug test.

mosch
03-17-2004, 12:55 AM
Bridge started drug testing a year or two ago, because they want it to become (i'm not kidding), an Olympic event. Chess has had pushes for drug testing too, also by people who mistake it for a sport.

Vehn
03-17-2004, 01:04 AM
This is from a year and a half ago.

SpaceAce
03-17-2004, 04:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Chess has had pushes for drug testing too, also by people who mistake it for a sport.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, that tickles my funny bone. What are they testing these people for? Ginkgo-biloba? Haha...

SpaceAce

MicroBob
03-17-2004, 05:11 AM
indeed it sounds ridiculous....but this was a very significant controversy in the chess-world for a few years.

chess wanted to be an olympic sport....the olympics require durg-testing....FIFE (the world chess federation) starts trying to implement drug-testing at some events.

many players were protesting based on how unrealistic it was for chess to gain olympic status....the invasion of privacy issue....and the fact that no one has discovered any drug that can dfinitively better one's chess performance.

however, i remember a few chess tourneys i played where some players i know swore by ginko-baloba or whatever it is.
they were both better players than me and had winnning results so i couldn't exactly prove them wrong.

Schmed
03-17-2004, 10:41 AM
bong hits help your x-box play so they may help your Chess play.....I dunno....... I think they're way off because everytime in college I did bong hits and played chess I got bored with the game....... /images/graemlins/grin.gif

CrackerZack
03-17-2004, 10:44 AM
I'm petitioning the olympic committee to make Drunk Mario Kart and olympic sport. I'm not good, but i'm willing to practice alot.

WDC
03-17-2004, 11:01 AM
The Daily show on Comedy Central did one of their "reports" on this yesterday. It was very funny.

MrDannimal
03-17-2004, 11:29 AM
I'm pretty sure they don't test for alcohol, so you should be fine.

Duke
03-17-2004, 04:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Disa Eythorsdottir, an American professional,

[/ QUOTE ]

That name is as American as apple pie.

Could anyone tell me how to pronounce it?

Is it like "Eye Thor's daughter"?

~D

Gamblor
03-17-2004, 04:44 PM
Quite possibly the greatest video game of all time.

It has been sitting in my N64 since 2001, and hasn't come out once.

Al_Capone_Junior
03-17-2004, 04:51 PM
Yep. Probably the southern baptist bridge spectaculare. Cuz you know "reefer madness" should not only be taught in schools, but in churches and movie theatres as well.

It's all silly. Who the FK cares? Only people who SHOULD be minding their own business, but are too nosy and rude to do so.

The olympic committee has not failed to do something stupid nearly every year, this one now too.

As an aside - bridge as an olympic sport? Ludicrous! If they're going to accept bridge they'll have to accept poker too. If they weren't going down this ridiculous avenue in the first place this problem would not have occured.

al

M.B.E.
03-17-2004, 07:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The Daily show on Comedy Central did one of their "reports" on this yesterday. It was very funny.

[/ QUOTE ]
That show cracks me up every night. The segment on the bridge player wasn't as funny as the one on gay penguins last week.

MicroBob
03-17-2004, 08:03 PM
yeah....that gay penguins story was one of their best of all-time.

M.B.E.
03-17-2004, 08:30 PM
Frozen, just out of curiosity, why are you posting this now? The story is from 2002 (as Vehn pointed out). The Daily Show also ran an item on this yesterday; was there something recent to make it newsworthy?

Or perhaps The Daily Show found out about it from your post on 2+2.

Dynasty
03-17-2004, 09:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Chess has had pushes for drug testing too, also by people who mistake it for a sport.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, that tickles my funny bone. What are they testing these people for? Ginkgo-biloba? Haha...

[/ QUOTE ]

It's generally accepted that then-World Champion Anatoly Karpov used different types of stimulants during his 1984 title defense against Gary Kasparov. Kasparov claims that Karpov's staff gave him different stimulants during their games based on the difficulty and type of position the game has assumed.

For a game which was likely to be determined in the next five moves or so, a powerful stimulant that worked immediately would be best (Jolt /images/graemlins/smile.gif ). For a game which was expected to be more drawn out with the need to take advantage of miniscule advantages, a slower type of stimulant would be used or none at all.

Frozen
03-17-2004, 10:10 PM
It's just that I saw the Daily show report on this, and realized that if the WPT or WSOP have similar BS drug testing, I'd never want to participate in those events.

slamdunkpro
03-17-2004, 10:44 PM
Yeah, Lane Flack would be in serious trouble if they tested him for Coors Light /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Bill Murphy
03-17-2004, 10:51 PM
..who was the azzclown who thought there was a chance of fvcking BRIDGE becoming an Olympic sport?

Sheesh, never thought anything could top the Weider mags spending decades spouting how bodybuilding(giggle) was just around the corner from Olympic inclusion, but this does.

BTW, last month's issue of Vanity Fair said poker was "out" and bridge was "in". /images/graemlins/smirk.gif