PDA

View Full Version : Bellagio 15/30 hand, comments appreciated

SinCityGuy
03-16-2004, 08:13 PM
Pretty good 15/30, nine-handed at the moment.

Loose/passive calling station open limps UTG +1, MP (another calling station) calls, SB (slightly loose pre-flop, decent post-flop) calls. I’m dealt 6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif in the BB and check my option.

Four to the flop for 4 SB.

Flop is J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 7 /images/graemlins/club.gif 4 /images/graemlins/club.gif

I bet my OESD into the 2-flush board, hoping to fold any hand with a single overcard (is checking a better option here?), and all three players call.

Four to the turn for 4 BB.

Turn is the 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif, giving me a non-nut straight with a possible flush out there. I fire away, and wait to see if someone springs to life. All three players cold call.

Four to the river for 8 BB.

River card is the 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

All comments welcome on my play so far, and the preferred play on the river.

Nightwish
03-16-2004, 08:24 PM
I don't like the bet on the flop, but I like the bet on the turn. I think you're good on the river, so bet it again. If you get raised, just call.

slamdunkpro
03-16-2004, 08:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Four to the river for 8 BB.

[/ QUOTE ]
Did someone raise the turn? Who?

If it was raised on the 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif I would think real hard about folding the straigh on the turn.

I'd check the river card and fold to a raise - too many over outs for my taste.

SinCityGuy
03-16-2004, 08:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't like the bet on the flop, but I like the bet on the turn. I think you're good on the river, so bet it again. If you get raised, just call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Check/call the flop a better option here?

elysium
03-16-2004, 10:36 PM
hi sin
whether you bet or check depends a lot on how you have been betting from the BB when you have a hand. if you've been check-raising, then checking with the intension of raising or calling is usually correct. of course, if your opponents will bet or raise if you check, and you have been betting out with the goods a lot, then betting is right. i don't think that is the case here though. i like checking these, and hoping that my opponents will allow a card to slide off that will improve my hand in this situation against these type opponents. betting won't get the fold or reduce the field. without the flush on or if you had better position, betting makes more sense. not here though. it looks like a check to me.

bet the river. you won this one.

Dynasty
03-16-2004, 10:46 PM
With just three opponents, this is an easy flop to bet. There's no reason to be worried about a flush draw and betting often lets you win the pot without a showdown.

SinCityGuy
03-17-2004, 05:59 AM
I checked the river, UTG+1 bet, folded back to me, I called.

UTG+1 turns over T /images/graemlins/club.gif 9 /images/graemlins/club.gif and he had me beaten six ways to Sunday.

The main reason for posting this hand (other than my poor play) was to get some feedback from the many good players in the forum about drawing to a straight on a two-flush board. There are conflicting recommendations from different Holdem books on whether or not to pursue these types of draws.

Nightwish
03-17-2004, 01:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I think so. Your draw is fairly weak in that any club and perhaps even an 8 spell danger for you.

pudley4
03-17-2004, 04:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I think so. Your draw is fairly weak in that any club and perhaps even an 8 spell danger for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

But by betting, you are likely to get T9 to fold, making your 8 good.

SA125
03-17-2004, 05:15 PM
I probably would have played it the same as you. Represent the best hand with a decent but vulnerable one until told otherwise. The winner left bets on the table.

elysium
03-17-2004, 09:37 PM
hi sin
if the game isn't very aggressive, it's usually ok to continue on from the BB. if you had 4 other opponents, you then usually need to have relative last position, or a good chance of getting it by the turn. so you check and hope that the UTG bets and only gets called. with 3 other opponents, you tend to bet out and try to get heads up by the turn. in each case, however, you do not call 2 cold or bet out into an aggressive field; from the BB, you do need to play with a little more gusto than usual though. so while you continue on against the two toned board from the BB, from almost any other position you can lay it down if the field conditions or opponents were not ideal. not from the BB though. you need to look alive here.