PDA

View Full Version : Have I become TOO aggressive? Hand #1

JSD
03-16-2004, 07:52 PM
CO was our table's resident passive fish - would play just about any two pre-flop and call down to the river with just about anything.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.stompandcrush.com/cgi-bin/hhparser.cgi)

Preflop: JSD is Button with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. CO posts a blind of $0.75. MP3 posts a blind of $0.50.
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 (poster) checks, CO (poster) checks, JSD raises, SB folds, BB folds, UTG+1 calls, MP3 folds, CO calls.

Flop: (9 SB) Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, CO bets, JSD raises, UTG+1 folds, CO calls.

Turn: (6.50 BB) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
CO checks, JSD bets, CO calls.

River: (8.50 BB) 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
CO checks, JSD checks.

Final Pot: 8.50 BB

CO shows Qd 6s (two pair, kings and queens).
JSD shows Ac Jd (one pair, kings).
Outcome: CO wins 8.50 BB.

After the hand, he even chatted, "I was pretty sure you had a King". I was sorely tempted to respond, "then why did you keep calling" but instead I just said "yeah, I thought I did too". He paid off all sorts of hands at this table - no point in getting upset with him. If anything, I was upset with myself for trying to semi-bluff when there was no chance of him folding.

So my question is, how would you play this differently, knowing that the CO is a calling station? Check the turn through and take the free card? Fold the flop?

thirddan
03-16-2004, 08:14 PM
knowing that CO is a calling station what do you gain by raising the flop on a semi bluff other than the ability to take a free card on the turn? hes not gonna fold and you know this...also why bet the turn with only A high when he will call, and we can give CO for at least a pair since he bet into preflop raiser on the flop (and calling stations usually don't do much bluffing or raising w/o made hands)...

I say if you are going to raise this flop then you should take the free card on the turn and hope to hit a T or A on the river...

Munga30
03-16-2004, 08:31 PM
The earmark of a calling station is being passive. If he were truly a calling station, he's not betting into a preflop raiser with less than a K on the flop. With this read, his bet offers you 10-1 on your gutshot, which is good enough to call and see the turn. Raising accomplishes little except killing your implied odds because there is a near zero probabilty that the calling station will fold and your "draw" benefits from more money in the pot from dominated and drawing dead hands.

If he's frisky enough to bet into a preflop raiser with just a Q, your flop play is much better. You have more outs and would like to clean up any stray aces so that your profits are not nibbled away by a third player hitting running aces-up. Raising also gives you the option to take a cheap card, and be sure to follow through if you don't improve. There's not much chance the calling station will fold, so you must not bluff at him. If he bets into you on the river, sometimes call unimproved with your nut no-pair. You only need to win once in a while to make this call correct.