PDA

View Full Version : why is JTs and JTo regarded as such a great hand

SaintAces
03-16-2004, 06:42 PM
over rated?

how should you play it out of position, in position, shorthanded and full game?

Heads up at the end of a multitable tourney loosie went all in, having me covered with about 90k to 80k

I called with KQ he had JTo. He won. Obviously he misplayed the hand. How are you supposed to play JT?

cold_cash
03-16-2004, 06:53 PM
I think it's regarded as so valuable because it has the potential to make a lot of straights, all which are the nut straight.

I also think the trick is to play the hand at a table that's loose and passive. That is, where you can get in cheaply with it and you're assured a multi-way pot.

Personally, I don't ever play JTo from anywhere outside the blinds, but this might be too tight. If I'm at a good table though, I'll limp w/ JTs from any position.

I don't know about the tournament or short-handed stuff.

SoBeDude
03-16-2004, 07:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
over rated?

how should you play it out of position, in position, shorthanded and full game?

Heads up at the end of a multitable tourney loosie went all in, having me covered with about 90k to 80k

I called with KQ he had JTo. He won. Obviously he misplayed the hand. How are you supposed to play JT?

[/ QUOTE ]

quit calling all-in bets with KQ

-Scott

SaintAces
03-16-2004, 07:22 PM

Lunamondo
03-17-2004, 10:48 AM
JT and JTs are weak hands as they are either dominated or Jack high hands. I don't like Axs either, but at least it's always about break even, while a hand like JTs can easily turn out to be the biggest loser on one's repertoire.

The place where JTs is a good hand is in multi way pots when the opponents are not tight. Other than that I don't think one loses anything significant if one would never play JT or JTs until opening or playing heads up, though I add blind defenses vs. true steals (and I perhaps limp with it from the SB, perhaps not; I also defend from the SB as I don't necessarily figure I need to be on the BB to defend blinds and JT might figure to be good enough) and some limps from late position if I think it's worth it.

I am not sure I will limp with JTs after one limper even from the middle position, maybe from two of the button, or it depends of the limper - if loose then I might play JTs from four of the button that's the seat I might open with that hand. JT might limp from the button after one loose limper if he does not rate to dominate this hand too badly.

These hands are bad at big bet poker also, or perhaps with deep money one might be able to make money with them.

Warik
03-17-2004, 12:12 PM
JT makes the most straights and all of the straights it makes (if both cards are used) are nut straights.

i.e.

You: JT
Board: 789

is a nut straight

but

You: JT
Board: 89T

is not a nut straight because QJ beats you.

If it's a small pot and you don't flop an OESD without making a pair, it's usually +EV to toss it. If it's a BIG multiway pot and you have an OESD but pair one of your cards, it might be worth it to see the turn if you will have the pot odds to continue.

Hanging on to JT and JTs for pair value is a disaster. If you're going to hang on to JT for something other than a straight or a flush, do it for two-two, trips, etc...

Also, don't call all-in with KQ. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

SoBeDude
03-17-2004, 12:39 PM
Sorry,

I totally missed the 'heads up at the end' part. Yea I'd call there every time too.

-Scott

deacsoft
03-17-2004, 12:56 PM
Ah yes, the good ole jack-ten. a potentialy powerful hand that should be a quick fold otherwise. Suited, of course, gives you more options and makes it a better starting hand. However, it is a much better hand to play in no-limit than in limit and is more valuable in a straight than in a flush (given the A,K, and Q are not on the board). As stated by almost everyone else it only makes nut straights when both cards are used and makes the most straights. With it suited you have a shot at a medium high flush or a nut straight flush.

I don't play it often in limit unless in late position with multi calls in front. I don't like to play it for a raise unless it's suited and I know there will be many calls. i fold it in early position and occasionaly will play it from middle position, again, if conditions are correct.

GuidoSarducci
03-18-2004, 09:57 PM
Well, consider this...

You have JT , 2 others follow along and the flop comes QKA.

Let's say also that the two that followed are decent players, holding maybe something like AK, AQ, KQ...

The value to this hand is it's easy to hide the fact that you have the nuts. These guys who hit 2 pair are going to pay you hansomely.

JTG51
03-18-2004, 11:05 PM
why is JTs and JTo regarded as such a great hand

It isn't.