PDA

View Full Version : A hand I liked my plan but hated my play

CrackerZack
03-16-2004, 06:33 PM
Live game a while back. Villian is immediately to my right. According to a reputable source, he's an excellent player. He's getting creamed today though and not taking it well. He doesn't appear to be tilting in anyway play-wise but isn't in a cheery mood. Off to the hand...

2 limpers to me in the C/O+1 and I limp along with QJo, CO limps too, button folds, SB tosses in a chip and BB taps, and 6 see a flop.

Flop: J 7 2 (rainbow, suits forgotten)

checked to first 1st limper who bets out, folded to me, I raise, CO 3-bets and its folded to me.

Plans for the rest of the hand?

Let's say the turn is an Ace and you were looking at the cutoff and he at you when the card came down. It really appears that both of you know that card didn't help either of you. Plan for the rest of the hand?

Don't be gentle...

Mikey
03-16-2004, 06:36 PM
why don't you reraise it on the flop like you got a pair.

James282
03-16-2004, 06:43 PM
What could he have that you beat? There are no draws. I think you are playing for a split at best if he 3-bet the flop.
-James

Manzanita
03-16-2004, 06:49 PM
CrackerZack,

[ QUOTE ]
Villian is immediately to my right

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to assume that "Villian" is to your left, the CO. Anyways, I suspect that you are behind here since there is no draw (I can't see an excellent player reraising with a gutshot). I also can't see an excellent player 3-betting with a hand less than top pair with a good kicker. I suspect that the CO has AJo, KJ, or 77; less likely hands for him to have are QJ and 22.

For image purposes (i.e., to avoid giving the impression that you'll fold easily to a raise) I would usually call the flop raise but would plan on check-folding the turn without improvement.

-- Manzanita

Monkeyslacks
03-16-2004, 07:21 PM
I don't see trips being played this fast and AJ(my read on the flop) is out if the turn didn't help him. I'm seeing KJ(most likely) or QJ(less likely) on this drawless board.

Some might make this play with top pair and backdoor draws(i.e. JTs with one of his suit on the flop giving him backdoor gutshot and flush draws), but it's not something I see often. I wouldn't call most of those that make it in this spot excellent players either... but maybe a possible holding.

I'd call the 3-bet most of the time and I would check fold the turn if I wasn't pretty sure the ace didn't help him. If I could confidently take him off AJ, I'd consider a checkraise if he bet out -depending on my table image. Otherwise, I call down.

BTW, the A did help you if he's got KJ. You picked up 6 outs to split...

CrackerZack
03-16-2004, 07:56 PM
Which hand makes a L? Yes he's on my left. Sorry about that.

BreakEvenPlayer
03-16-2004, 09:00 PM
I'm sure you are up against a Jack, there are five kickers we could see. AJ, KJ, QJ, JT, J7s (possible with all those limpers). You only beat one of these five and split with the QJ so I would probably check fold the turn. I kinda doubt this guy is three-betting the JT.

Mike Gallo
03-16-2004, 09:30 PM
Zack,

If you played that hand against "Muscle Joe", I cannot comment, I know the outcome of the hand.

For readers who do not know muscle "Muscle Joe", Joe could have as little as 66 or 88 and try to push Zack of off a hand with a Jack. Joe has that ability. I do not know if he would try those maneuver when running bad however. Joe believes strongly in playing the player.