PDA

View Full Version : Pocket 6's on button against a blind raise and a thought....

Gomez22
03-16-2004, 05:57 PM
UB $.50 NLHE - 10 handed

MP4($56.10)
CO($21.90)
Button(ME - $39.40)
BB($50.95)

I have 6 /images/graemlins/club.gif 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif on button

Folded around to MP4, who calls the BB of $.50, CO calls, I call, SB folds, BB raises to $1.75, MP4 folds, CO calls, I call.

FLOP($6.00): 6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

BB bets $6.00, CO folds, I raise to $15.00, BB pushes all-in for $49.20, I call ($37.65).

TURN($83.30): 5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

RIVER($81.30 after $2.00 rake): 5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

BB shows A /images/graemlins/club.gif K /images/graemlins/spade.gif

I see alot (today, I saw it 3 times) of pushing all-in with AK. 2 times pre-flop, and once on the flop(this hand). Why does everyone think that AK is a hand worthy of an all-in pre-flop? I just don't get it. There are 13 other hands out there that AK is a dog to in a HU situtation, especially pre-flop. Any pair has a lead on AK, even though with 11 of them, it's a "race" situation.

I just can't see the reason for this. I'll admit that AK is a great hand, but not for the reason of pushing in PF. Does anyone else agree with me on this (circumstances could be effective - ex: You have a EP raiser well covered, let's say 3-4 times his stack, and you can get it to just you and him with an all-in, or possibly make him fold by making him risk too much of his stack, that I can see. But these out-of position re-raises with AK are absurd)?

1800GAMBLER
03-16-2004, 06:14 PM
Pushing in on the flop with AK is usually stupid even if you improved. Looks like a case of him falling in love with his hand. Getting all in with AK preflop has a lot of merit in the $50 games though.

Nero
03-16-2004, 06:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I see alot (today, I saw it 3 times) of pushing all-in with AK. 2 times pre-flop, and once on the flop(this hand). Why does everyone think that AK is a hand worthy of an all-in pre-flop? I just don't get it. There are 13 other hands out there that AK is a dog to in a HU situtation, especially pre-flop. Any pair has a lead on AK, even though with 11 of them, it's a "race" situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

AK is a fine hand to push pre-flop IF you almost positive you are not up against AA or KK, and there is a great expectation of taking down the pot PF. If im in the BB and there is ~10 BB in pot I may consider pushing. The times you take it down pre-flop + out draw QQ and below + the rare occasion some jackass calls w/AQ,AJ will greatly make up for the slight dog you are to those pocket pairs. I would never do this with position, except maybe to isolate.

[ QUOTE ]
I just can't see the reason for this. I'll admit that AK is a great hand, but not for the reason of pushing in PF. Does anyone else agree with me on this (circumstances could be effective - ex: You have a EP raiser well covered, let's say 3-4 times his stack, and you can get it to just you and him with an all-in, or possibly make him fold by making him risk too much of his stack, that I can see. But these out-of position re-raises with AK are absurd)?

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, the post-flop unimproved all-in, and re-raise all-in at that is insane. This play i usually see from two totally opposite groups. The maniac who just wants to gamble, and the Rock who has waited 2 hours for this hand and can't believe he didnt flop an A of K, so hes going to bluff and then go tell his buddies how unlucky he is.

dspsphinx
03-16-2004, 06:23 PM
I don't have stats to back it up, but I feel the value of AKo is inversely proportional to the number of players who call pre-flop. His bet on the flop was okay, but it's ridiculous to go all in against a player with position showing strength on a somewhat-coordinated board that doesn't help him. This was just a bad play.

As far as preflop, I don't have a problem w/ overbetting AKo to isolate. You may pick up the pot right there. It's better to win a small pot than lose a big one.

1800GAMBLER
03-16-2004, 06:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't have stats to back it up, but I feel the value of AKo is inversely proportional to the number of players who call pre-flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree here in NL. The graph for a pocket pair is a U shape/postive squared graph and the graph for AA in limit is a directly proportional graph, now imagine the graph for AA in NL?