PDA

View Full Version : Gun Racks For Pickups

Zeno
03-16-2004, 05:06 PM
Been searching and found one web site here Gun Rack (http://www.ezmountcorp.com/index.html) , Cabelas just has gun racks for ATVs. Anyone know the best kind to get or have some advice(I have extra cab with sliding back window). The gun rack would also be useful for my two-piece fly rods.

I need to get a rifle (varmit gun) also - one that can shoot the eyeball out of a Bunny Rabbit at half-a-mile. I'm still look'in but suggestions are welcome. Can't wait until the 'assult weapon' ban is gone so I can get some really useful weapons.

the times they are a-changin

-Zeno

HDPM
03-16-2004, 05:18 PM
I am leery of gun racks w/ sliders. Just too tempting. Maybe they'd take it anyway I dunno.

Fortunately I got rid of the only miserable pickup I ever had. I got it with the idea of having a total beater. It was a total POS. Anyway, I got this thing that had a sleeve for the gun that went behind the seat. I preferred that to the visible rack, but if you want to have multiple guns it wouldn't work. I would look at those racks that go on top of the visors maybe. Keeps the guns less visible but handy. Cabelas has always had these. I can't imagine they discontinued them. Call them up maybe.

I dunno about varmint guns. I say get something ridiculous with a huge barrel and a massive scope just to be an ass. Or kill 2 birds w/ one stone and get an AR 15 with some options. Only a 223 and not some ridiculous wildcat cartridge tho.

Ray Zee
03-16-2004, 06:52 PM
keep your long guns behind the seat in a case. if you like you gun that is, and dont feel like picking little shards of glass off the seat.

223 is okay and you can find lots of ammo cheap so you get to do some shooting instead of polishing. what do you want to kill those little cute gophers anyway for. they dont hurt anything. they have family and act like little people in their colony.

scalf
03-16-2004, 07:03 PM
/images/graemlins/blush.gif funny; ya really do not see guns on a rack in a pickup truck like ya used to see back in the redneck good ole boy days...i've been told it's as zee suggested; too many ripped off by just smacking the glass...

but some bubbas have heavy artillery in their lockboxes just behind the seats...lol

so be carefull before ya finger a good ole boy...might get back more than ya bargained for..

gl /images/graemlins/mad.gif

HDPM
03-16-2004, 08:56 PM
Yeah, I kinda agree on the critters part. I think Zeno needs more guns, and asinine varmint guns have their place I suppose. I just think guns are to shoot people with mostly. (legally of course only in justfiable self defense pursuant to the laws of your area, etc., etc.. bla bla legal disclaimer for those w/ out sense of humor or Ashcroft's minions) It is rockchuck season around here so I am seeing a lot of rifles in the back window of pickups. I had a nice drive the other day through the country and noticed the rockchucks frolicking by the road. Some were playing, some were contemplating suicide via road crossing. I had no desire to shoot any. Baby cows and sheep were out. Plenty of baby sheep for those in Montana BTW.

HDPM
03-16-2004, 08:59 PM
you still see some gun racks around here. Doesn't mean there isn't something in the jockey box too. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Zeno
03-16-2004, 09:39 PM
I thought about it and the gun rack thing is not that common anymore for good reasons. Back when I was growing up in the backwoods of Oregon in the 50-60's everyone had a gun rack in the old truck. I have a cheap shell on my truck so the rack would not be as noticeable but in general I probably do not need one. I have lots of space with the extra cab and can carry a rifle easily in the back. So I have nixed this idea.

I don't hunt much and never have. But a varmint rifle would be good for coyotes, rodents, prairie dogs, and raccoons and also seals. I would probably just use it as a target gun, mostly. I belong to a gun club that has a very good rifle range and if would fun to target shoot more. As is, I only use the pistol range.

I would also loan the rifle out to my dad and brothers, as they would have good uses for a varmint rifle. Raccoons and other noxious critters are always hounding my folks. The family cat was killed the last time I was there – by some beast out of the dark woods behind the house. My dad only has an older Winchester 30-30 that probably no longer shoots straight. He hasn’t used it in 20 years I bet. But he would use a small rifle and was even talking of getting a nice .22 rifle with a scope.

-Zeno

GWB
03-16-2004, 09:52 PM
I find a gun rack is essential equipment at my ranch.

Zeno
03-16-2004, 10:05 PM
Check out these interesting links about the 223, I think I'll get one.

Bushmaster (http://www.impactguns.com/store/bushmaster_varminter.html)

Custom rifles (http://www.lesbaer.com/ar223.html)

The Colt customized (http://www.rassokhin.com/personal/Firearms/ColtHBAR.html)

Armalite rifle (http://aldcompany.com/miva?/Merchant2/merchant.mv+Screen=PROD&Store_Code=ACE&Product_Cod e=AI_M15A4+rifle&Category_Code=F)

Looks like about $900 for one. Plus the extra for a quality scope etc. The custom type would be very expensive and probably out of my price range, but fun to dream about.

I think this type of rifle is my next gun purchase.

-Zeno

Zeno
03-16-2004, 10:16 PM
Hey, George

I worked with a rancher in the Southwest on a drilling job I was doing and he took me all round the ranch for a few weeks etc and he kept a varmint rifle in the truck at all times. No gun rack. He just keep it close by between the front seats angled down at the floorboards. Very handy and easy to grab for that quick shot at a coyote, or a tourist, as need be.

So perhaps you need to rethink the gun rack thing like I did.

By the by - You got my Vote. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

-Zeno

Al_Capone_Junior
03-16-2004, 10:41 PM
Just come to texas for about five minutes and all your life problems will be solved. Cuz we all should have constitutional rights to blast deer with an AK-47 fully auto, plus we should be able to drink beer and go spotlighting with our .357s on the highway at night, looking for deer, possum, hitchhikers, etc. And the real test of manhood is being able to knock off a beer can with your hunting rifle from 1,000 yards without spilling your beer.

al

GWB
03-16-2004, 10:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Just come to texas for about five minutes and all your life problems will be solved. Cuz we all should have constitutional rights to blast deer with an AK-47 fully auto, plus we should be able to drink beer and go spotlighting with our .357s on the highway at night, looking for deer, possum, hitchhikers, etc. And the real test of manhood is being able to knock off a beer can with your hunting rifle from 1,000 yards without spilling your beer.

al

[/ QUOTE ]
Reminds me of the good ol' days. Unfortunately, I don't drink no more.

Texas Rules!

Al_Capone_Junior
03-16-2004, 10:56 PM
oh GOD gwb, you're new, so I'll let you slide. But those who have been reading my posts for a while know that I hate texas with a passion, feeling that it is a great place for a nuclear test range, and little else. my comments were pure sarcasm. yes, i REALLY DO hate texas.

al

GWB
03-16-2004, 11:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
oh GOD gwb, you're new, so I'll let you slide. But those who have been reading my posts for a while know that I hate texas with a passion, feeling that it is a great place for a nuclear test range, and little else. my comments were pure sarcasm. yes, i REALLY DO hate texas.

al

[/ QUOTE ]
Thems fighting words. My buddy Rick is the Governor down there {I hand picked him) - so you better watch your step if you find yourself in Texas.

By the way, why do you name yourself after a notorious criminal. This is a Law and Order nation!

Al_Capone_Junior
03-17-2004, 01:21 AM
law and order, particularly the fabled but non-existent "justice" system is precisely the reason I hate texas. fighting words fine with me, bring it on. I was born in new york and just love to both fight and hate texans. it may seem like a fun banter back and forth but trust me I am really not kidding at all. sorry new guy. I won't hold it against you on the forums.

al

krazyace5
03-17-2004, 03:30 AM
California sucks too.

Al_Capone_Junior
03-17-2004, 09:43 AM
ah, except for san diego, you're mostly right. Maybe those were just thumb wrestling, not fighting words.

al

benfranklin
03-17-2004, 02:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Very handy and easy to grab for that quick shot at a coyote, or a tourist, as need be. -Zeno

[/ QUOTE ]

You can get in a lot of trouble shooting at tourists, unless it's tourist season.