PDA

View Full Version : Overplayed or OK?

naphand
03-16-2004, 03:50 PM
My brief sojourn back on Party $1/$2 6 Max - 6 seated.

This table is playing OK, not totally stupid players and some aggression. I like it. No real reads on anyone yete though.

I have K /images/graemlins/spade.gifQ /images/graemlins/spade.gif in MP.

UTG folds, I raise, CO calls, Button 3-bets, SB calls, BB folds, I call, CO calls.

Flop: 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gifA /images/graemlins/heart.gifA /images/graemlins/spade.gif

SB checks, I bet, CO calls, Button raises, SB folds, I 3-bet, CO folds, Button caps, I call.

Turn: J /images/graemlins/spade.gif

I bet, Button raises, I 3-bet, Button caps, I call.

River: 4 /images/graemlins/club.gif

I bet, Button calls.

Comments on my play?

I am thinking I should perhaps have just called Buttons raise on the flop, to keep CO in the hand, rather than pushing him out with the 3-bet. On the Turn I think the 3-bet is fine, the cap has me worried about AA or FH, so I decide to bet the River and call a raise. Button only calls so no go with that.

Comments on this play? and what did Button have? Results below in white:

<font color="white">Button shows JcJd for the FH and the pot</font>

BookOfIcculus
03-16-2004, 06:03 PM
This line of play is gr8 for a lot of players. I'm not sure I'd play a draw this aggresively. And I'd wouldn't 3-bet the turn unless I had a good read of Ax. My read at this point is AK with K spades. But you have the Ks. So what else could he have? I'm not sure enough for the 3-bet. I'd like to know what you thought Button has on each street? That would probably expain whether or not you overplayed or are OK.

stripsqueez
03-16-2004, 07:19 PM
i think you overplayed the flop - your not going to win this pot before a showdown and you have a drawing hand - i understand that its something like 40% that you will hit your flush but when you do you still have to worry about 2 pair being on the board or an A hitting its kicker - i think the button got the best of you on the flop

stripsqueez - chickenhawk

Vazh
03-16-2004, 07:44 PM
Gotta agree with the others, the flop was overplayed. Most players at this level won't show that much aggression with hands you can beat. He wouldn't bet this hard with a ten high flush. Trip aces with a good kicker (no FH) maybe, but even that's questionable. You'd have to put him on exactly AK or AQ for him to show that much aggression and still lose to your hand imho.

naphand
03-17-2004, 11:26 AM
I've seen plenty of people on Party cap with 2-pair on the flop/turn, and certainly with 3A. My guess was strong A or good PP. My 3-bet on the flop was wrong, I knew it as soon as I hit it, specifically because I would have been happier to have CO come along which he probably would have done for one more bet. Also, button was likely to cap it from his PF behaviour.

As it happens I was about 50:50 to win the hand on the flop, so not such a mistake after all, as I had the flush outs, outs to the K and Q plus a possible straight. I figured most likely was 3A and should have just called his raise, but at the time I actualy thought CO might call the 3-bet. The J /images/graemlins/spade.gif was Button's money card, not only giving him the FH but also giving me the nut flush. After that I was on a 1-outer to the absolute nuts....

Once he capped the Turn I began to be concerned, as it is rare to see anyone on Party cap two rounds in a row unless they have the nuts or are a total idiot or maniac. He did not have the nuts, which presumably is why he just called the River. He also capped the flop with an underpair, and every possibility of another A against him (I had raised PF) so I figure Button overplayed his hand on the flop too (surely he must have put me on an A?). He got the better of the exchange, but the Turn did give him exactly what he wanted (or nearly so).