PDA

View Full Version : how i went from a losign to a winning player

Canada Kelly
03-16-2004, 02:54 PM
I just want to circulate this a bit and see what comes out as the biggest errors the loser makes as compared to the winning player. I recently went from being a losing player and now I am consistantly winning.

I am going to go through the big errors that I made as a loser and how I am different as of now...

Error 1: raising too much UTG and EP1/EP2....not calling enough with good hands.

I was constantly, as soon as I would see two suited cards 10 or higher I would through in a raise to limit the field. This would cost me so many bets when I missed the flop and checked and folded. I have found that a hand like KhJh UTG is a great hand to call and if I miss, surrender my bet, but if you hit a good hand or draw then you have some opponents that you can get a lot of money from .....

Error 2: not raising enough near the button.

I would just call late and hope that I would hit and win the hand or get everyone to fold.

I now if at late position, almost always raise or fold, (with exceptions obviously), but this lets me control the hand so well, and gains and saves bets in the long run......gives me more ways to win than that “hit to win” style of poker that I was playing before....

Error 3: calling down when you know that you are beaten.....when you know that your beat early.

This is a biggie and many do it...you know that you are beat by his AK and an ace is on the board, you have K7 and the board is AK4, you just keep calling and praying, but you know you beat and muck your hand on the end......surrender when you know you are beated

Error 4: playing small pairs and Axs out of position

playing small pairs is a big time mistake, this along with constantly playing Axs were my two bigest errors in hold’em. I played these hands in any position, to a raise from a tight player, and just held my breath and hope that I hit or something.....good way to go broke is the way that I look at these hands now.....playing these hands against 3 players is the worst, no odds to hit a set and too many hands that can beat your hand.....and even worse than that is hoping that you will get the runner runner flush which costs many bets and a fold on the river.

These errors that I mentioned along with not having a good understanding for the game is the reasons that I was a loser at poker.....now, I am not a pro, or even good enough to play $10-20, but I can consistantly beat the low online games as high as $2-4, and play really well in the multi table tourneys online....

Suggestions, comments, errors????

Canada Kelly