PDA

View Full Version : How to obtain a consistant profit?

Crispyk
03-16-2004, 12:22 PM
I've been playing everyday online for about a year, Mostly I've been playing for the practice and the knowledge of the game, I feel i'm getting to the point in my game where i can win consistantly in most areas of the game however. Is there any advice someone can give me about taking it more seriously. Not turning professional but turning it into more of a business., (I'm still working ) I've heard and read all about keeping good track records and being very disciplined and responsible with the bankroll. Is there any books, you could recommend, Also what sites do people find the most consistantency on. I find i'm more consistent on Some sites then others just wanting others peoples oppinion on that. Also is there a game that is best suited for making a steady income. Is it no limit, is it limit, is it tournaments. Basically I'm ready to take my game to the next level and I wanted to hear peoples advice about how to go about that. Any advice would be well well appreciated. Thanks!

fluff
03-16-2004, 12:28 PM
The first step should be keeping good track of your session. One option is to make an Excel spread sheet, and record date, time, hours/minutes played, and results (profit/loss) for that session. Make separate ones for each limit/game type you play, it'll be much easier to use the data that way. At the end of the month or so, you can tally your hours played and see how much you made/lost for each type of game and limit.

If you don't mind shelling out a few bucks, go get pokertracker. It does all the above and much more by reading hand histories from most major sites.

I think the general consensus is in terms of stability (variance) is, limit, sit-n-go tourneys, no limit, multi table tourneys, from lowest to highest. Of course the rewards are higher with higher risk.

scotnt73
03-16-2004, 12:29 PM
what limits are you playing now? i think everyone should learn to beat limit first. if your a great limit player you can adapt easily from there to the other types of holdem.