PDA

View Full Version : Typical average pot size

TJD
03-16-2004, 08:56 AM
I tried this post on small stakes forum but got no replies. Perhaps it was the wrong place to put it.

Can anyone help?

I know that many players use average pot size to determine which games to try and get onto online.

If you were in a $5/$10 limit game and the table were composed of mainly competent but not expert players what would you expect an average pot to be?

Or is this a great big "it depends"

Trevor

thedudeoflife
03-16-2004, 11:18 AM
I have 1,500 5/10 hand stats on my pokertracker. All hands played at partypoker with avg players per hand=9.2. The avg pot size =$61.41.

TJD
03-16-2004, 02:48 PM
Thx I appreciate the reply.

Do you think that the tables composed of competent players?I have heard that PP can be a bit loose.

I suppose what I am trying to get at is what the pot "should" be (over a long run average) if the players were all competent.

People on this site say that they look for the highest pot average, so I presume that higher pots indicate less than optimum play.

If I knew what "optimum" was then maybe I could gauge how good/bad the table is likely to be.

Thanks again

Trevor

jasonHoldEm
03-16-2004, 04:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Do you think that the tables composed of competent players?

[/ QUOTE ]

God I hope not /images/graemlins/wink.gif

The number the previous poster gave you is similar to what I have...this represents the longrun pot average for 5/10 with an overall mix of good/bad/horrible/great players.

[ QUOTE ]
I presume that higher pots indicate less than optimum play.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a dangerous assumption...big pots can be created a lot of different ways, it could be created by a bunch of loose limpers, but just as easily it could be a bunch of tight/aggressive players hammering away.

I generally use the pot size as a radar...it will get me on the waiting list, but before I actually play at a table I watch the action for an orbit to see if its the type of table I want to play at. "Blindly" sitting down at a table just because it has a big pot average is dangerous. I generally stick to the tables that are in the upper middle range myself, I find I have better results than at the extremely large pot size tables.

Peace,
jHE