View Full Version : A stupid play?

Rocco
03-16-2004, 07:09 AM
Stats:
- NL $30 tourney at PP
- My stack is below average (1430)
- Blinds are 75/150
- EP opponent has 3670 chips

I got dealt A /images/graemlins/heart.gif 3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif in the BB. UTG limps and all fold to me. Heads-up...

Flop: (8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif A /images/graemlins/club.gif Q /images/graemlins/club.gif)
I check and UTG bets 225 into a 375 pot. Well, here I am with top pair and a lousy kicker. I haven't put any money in the pot voluntarily... Still, there's only a slight chance he's got one of the two other aces so I make the call. I figure he's got KQ or QJ or QT, probably suited.

Turn: (T /images/graemlins/club.gif)
Ok, another club... The board is suited and I have a club, although a very small one. Does he have a club? I check to him to gain some information and he comes out betting 400 into the 875 pot. Now, I might be drawing dead but something tells me he is desperate to make me fold, so I call.

River: (6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif)
Probably not helping anyone of us... He bets 800 which puts me all-in if I call. Is this a bluff bet? I think there's a big chance he's bluffing and since I'm kind of pot committed, I call all-in. Opponent turns over K /images/graemlins/spade.gif 4 /images/graemlins/spade.gif and was bluffing all the way. How did I do?

Stoneii
03-16-2004, 07:51 AM
mmmm, u manufactured a flush draw /images/graemlins/grin.gif

45Player
03-16-2004, 07:54 AM
If you know that this guy will play K4 UTG (!), then you have to play your weak ace. You could raise all in on the flop but you don't win too much by doing that. I would check-raise all in on the turn. Calling on the turn is weak as you are pot-committed then, and will have to call a bet on the river. If he has KQ or QJ then you should make him pay to see the river card. His bet on the river is very bad as he should know that you must call.

curmudgeon
03-16-2004, 03:24 PM
A stupid play by both players, I'd say.... /images/graemlins/blush.gif
K4s should never be in there, but if he's gonna play any two cards its much better to raise to steal the blinds or bluff at the flop.

As for your hand, if you decide you want to play it then you should have BET or RAISEd it at some point, not just CALL all your chips off. Check-raise the flop, or bet the turn, do something!

The best thing was that your instinct was correct and you had him beat, so you had some kind of read on this bluffasaurous. And that "something" that tells you he's desperate to make you fold is much more valuable than correct play! /images/graemlins/wink.gif

(I assume you had 3 /images/graemlins/club.gif not spades.)