PDA

View Full Version : Push with a straight here?

CrisBrown
03-16-2004, 03:13 AM
Hi All,

$2/4 NL on PokerStars. I have about $575 (up about $175 after an hour), and this is the last hand I'm planning to play tonight regardless. I have 43o in the BB, four limps to me, and I check. (Pot = $20)

Flop is Q-5-6. Checked around. Turn is 2, giving me the nut straight. I bet 20, bigger stack raises to 40, and I push in my entire stack. He calls. (Pot = $1182) River is a 5, he has 66 for the boat, and I'm busted. Ouch.

Bad push on my part?

Cris

bugstud
03-16-2004, 03:20 AM
Going allin with the nuts on the turn is never a bad play here, and you know that. If the board pairs, so be it. Unless you're positive he pays off for his stack on an unpaired river card, in which case it might get close.

cornell2005
03-16-2004, 03:24 AM
no way. at worst you only lose if the board pairs up, and at best you have the nuts
same thing happened to me tonight too with a bit smaller pot size. except my kings over aces with kings in hand got busted by aces over 7s with a 7 on the river.

gavrilo
03-16-2004, 04:24 AM
i generally like people calling me with their whole stack when i have the nuts.. but that's only on even days of the month.

TheGrifter
03-16-2004, 11:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Bad push on my part?

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh...as if, of course not, this is a bet that loves a call.

1800GAMBLER
03-16-2004, 03:11 PM
Eh?

Is your other plan to call and fold when the board pairs and push in when it doesn't?

mosch
03-16-2004, 03:17 PM
Your opponent was 3.6:1 against improving his hand, and you charged him $550 to pick up an $80 pot. It's hard to think of a better place to push, and get called.

You made the right move. If you hadn't pushed, you'd be kicking yourself now for playing it badly, even if it would've saved you money that time.

Ulysses
03-16-2004, 03:19 PM

AJo Go All In
03-16-2004, 03:32 PM
ulysses, man, i'm supposed to be the jerk here, you're supposed to be nice and constructive and tactful..

TomCollins
03-16-2004, 03:39 PM
Just curious, but why would you pay for your BB and THEN quit? I almost always quit UTG, or at least pay the small blind and a few late position hands.

Sorry to hear the bad luck. I had a similar story with 2 people with 2 pair on the turn, me with 43 os for the nut straight, but fortunately it held up. Was scary though!

OldLearner
03-16-2004, 03:48 PM
Lol, an accomplished player like yourself asking this Cris?

Tough bad beat.

scrub
03-16-2004, 05:00 PM
To be honest, I think the push is terrible.

For you to make any more money than is already in the pot here, your opponent pretty much has to be an idiot. You're overbetting the pot so much that even a player with top set is going to have a decent chance to get away from his or her hand. Since you feel like your opponent has a strong holding, why not raise less and give them a chance to (1) push over you with a weaker hand or (2) call drawing without odds?

It's not about winning the pot--it's about winning money.

scrub

cornell2005
03-16-2004, 05:08 PM
i like the push here with such deep stacks. he likes his hand alot, that min raise means nothing more than "give me more money please, i just hope i dont push you out" if the raise was larger, then maybe wait a card to push, but even still id probably go here

Nero
03-16-2004, 05:20 PM
The push was fine as long as your were POSITIVE he would call. Otherwise the overbet lets him get away from too many hands you have drawing dead or thin. Next time throw the dealer a $20 to brick the river.

scrub
03-16-2004, 05:27 PM
The depth of the stacks is exactly why I think a push is sort of silly here.

No matter what the other player has that he likes, he's going to get a chance to think long and hard about what Cris has when he's faced with calling 5 times an unraised pot when a card that makes a straight comes off.

If he really likes his hand that much (and they aren't splitting), he'll either come over the top of a raise or call without getting odds. Raising to 200 or so seems like a more profitable play to me...

When a player who I think is reasonable and not a maniac (I'm assuming that Cris fits this description), pushes a gigantic stack into a smallish unraised pot when I've shown strength and don't have the nuts, I generally take a moment to determine what the nuts are. It's going to take a very strong read for me (or most reasonable players, I think), to call here without a split or (sometimes) 99.

scrub

CrisBrown
03-16-2004, 07:36 PM
Hi Tom,

It was a time thing. I'd set a time when I was going to quit and go to bed, and that time had arrived.

Cris

Al_Capone_Junior
03-17-2004, 01:53 AM
you got all your money in with the nuts. Despite what he held, for the pot odds he was getting he took a big -EV to get there.

al