PDA

View Full Version : becoming paranoid about chest pains...

whiskeytown
03-16-2004, 12:25 AM
so here's the deal...I'm 31 and I am on meds for high blood pressure...it was brutal at one time -

still not perfect...still fall off the vodka wagon occasionally, and I'm probably just a bit overweight for my body size (215 pounds but I'm 6'3")

lately though, esp. after a rough week or binge, I find myself with lots of little nagging pain in my chest or neck area....nothing crushing or more then an irritation, but more like a pulled muscle or something...a stiff neck, and so forth..

and me with no health insurance....starting to hate this country with it's 47 million uninsured americans...anyone ever have any experience with these....I hear stories about people having heart attacks and not realizing it....I'm scared of ending up a veggie....yikes..

RB

Utah
03-16-2004, 12:46 AM
Sorry - but since you brought it up.....

What are doing binging on Vodka?

btw - are you in the twin cities?

whiskeytown
03-16-2004, 01:25 AM
oh ya know...bad day, desire to escape resulting in a large amount of alcohol consumed...it's a battle I've been slowly winning as it happens less and less, but it still rears it's ugly head occasionally...

and yes, I am in the Twin cities....make it to Canterbury occasionally....but lately I'm just hanging around Pokerstars...

RB

DonWaade
03-16-2004, 02:42 AM
I am sure that by now you do not need a lecture. I would just advise you to be cognizant of what you imbibe in and consume. Both liqour, tobaco, and most importantly food. Exercise regularly. Even if for 20 minutes a day. Keep friends informed of you situation becuase you do not have insurance. But as far as your pain, do you typically find it after some sort of physical exertion? i.e. sex, going on tilt, lifting weights, etc. Note the type of pain. Crushing, constricting pain is usually symptomatic of the "Big One." No $hit, when I have seen people in cardiac arrest, they often say that it feels like an elephant is sitting on their chest. If this is the case, call an ambulance. Screw insurance or lack there of. The best thing you can do, seriously is exercise. Like I said, even of just for 20 minutes and day and watch your diet.

krazyace5
03-16-2004, 03:11 AM
Is going on tilt really physical exertion?

whiskeytown
03-16-2004, 03:33 AM
yep...only real vice is alcohol....no smoking here.

that's why I'm not one hundred percent paranoid yet...I figure it would be crippling pain if it was a cardiac problem...as it is, I think maybe my arms have been hanging off the edge of the bed too much, and that's causing strain on the muscles and so forth...

I'll get more excercise when spring hits...I used to walk for two hours about 3 times a week, but in winter, I try to hibernate a bit...

RB

Ray Zee
03-16-2004, 11:12 AM
hey wisk, get a check up anyway it aint much money to do and will at least take away your worry about what the problem is. get insurance its only about 100 bucks a month for someone your age and will also give you peace of mind. good luck buddy.

benfranklin
03-16-2004, 12:48 PM
Chest pains can be caused by stress. Which is then increased by worrying about the chest pains. I went through that some time back. Mine were from stress. The way to tell is that stress pains go away with mild physical activity, like a brisk walk. If the walk causes rather than relives pain, then you need to have it checked.

Utah
03-16-2004, 01:17 PM
Sorry, its a battle that cant be won. I've been there. I quit 13 years ago. My two cents. Enough said.

Of course if you meet me on Pokerstars feel free to consume away. LOL. btw - I go by the name Brandy on Pokerstars, although I havent been on much lately as I have been so busy with work.

DonWaade
03-17-2004, 09:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is going on tilt really physical exertion?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, probably not, but it can cause blood vessels in your head to pop! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Al_Capone_Junior
03-17-2004, 10:30 PM
Unfortunately, I have to say the best advice is to see a doctor. I realize the irony of giving you that advice...

Aspirin is something you should always have nearby. It's both the most dangerous substance found in normal households, and the most precious. Providing you have no contraindications for using aspirin, if you have chest pains that you may in any way think might be a heart attack, or even sometimes for pains that may be, but not seem like a heart attack, aspirin can be a lifesaver. Taken at the beginning of chest pains related to heart attacks, aspirin can make a big difference in the progression of an incident regarding the blood vessels supplying the heart. Aspirin inhibits platelet aggregation, and sometimes platelet clumps are the cause of heart attacks.

Now once again, tho I worked in a hospital lab for more than two years, I am not a doctor. You need to consult a qualified physician, not me, for proper advice to your problem. However, for myself, I would never be caught dead without aspirin in my cupboard.

If you drink, you certainly don't want to take acetaminophen either, as the use of that along with alcohol is very hard on your liver.

Ibuprofen is also helpful in cases of inflammation. I have had a condition several times where the pleuresy of my lung on the right side gets inflammed. It's painful, but not very life threatening at all. But it seemed like just plain "chest pain" to me the first time I experienced it, and I was admittedly a bit panicked, because I am young, thin, and healthy, or so I thought! Ibuprofen helped a great deal with the pain and inflammation. So did finding out what it really was!

al