PDA

View Full Version : Trip Aces, but a lurking flush, maybe

Georgia Peach
03-16-2004, 12:19 AM
Here's another hand where I'm wondering if I bet the river or not:

Party 2/4.

This is my first hand at the table, so I have no read on anyone:

I am in EP and I had to post a BB to enter the pot.

I am dealt AA.

UTG and UTG+1 call, I raise, SB calls, BB folds, UTG calls, and then, the UTG+1, does a limp/re-raise and I capped it.
The SB, UTG cold call and the UTG+1 calls.

Flop: 5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif,4 /images/graemlins/spade.gif,A /images/graemlins/heart.gif

The SB checks, UTG folds(???), UTG+1 bets, I re-raise, SB cold calls (this is where I thought he might be waiting for a third heart or maybe the straight, but I decided I was going to bet the aces until the cows came home) and UTG+1 calls.

Turn: K /images/graemlins/club.gif

SB checks, UTG+1 bets, I re-raise, SB cold calls, UTG+1 3 bets, I cap and the SB cold calls and UTG+1 calls.

(At this point, I'm figuring the UTG fellow has AK or KK, but I can only figure the SB's drawing or has the strt)

River: Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif

SB checks, UTG+1 checks, I check.

Did I miss a bet here as well? The SB had me spooked after all his cold calls.

Results to follow.

Yeknom58
03-16-2004, 02:38 AM
First of all, you said you posted in EP. I know it hurts to see the action go by but I would suggest waiting and posting in the BB or in LP.

I think you should bet the river because you pretty much know you have UTG beat and you know he'll call a river bet. Sometimes the SB will CR with the flush, sometimes he'll fold his busted straight draw, and sometimes he'll show you some retarded cards. Those factors all add up to a river bet in my book.

SpaceAce
03-16-2004, 07:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
(this is where I thought he might be waiting for a third heart or maybe the straight, but I decided I was going to bet the aces until the cows came home) and UTG+1 calls.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not a "but" situation. You don't keep raising your hand in spite of the flush draw, you keep raising because of the flush draw. You don't play it safe until the river when you're sure the flush has missed, you play it strong all the way so when the flush misses, you win a bigger pot.

[ QUOTE ]

River: Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif

SB checks, UTG+1 checks, I check.

[/ QUOTE ]

You played your hand well until this point but I think you blew it by not betting the river. Most PartyPoker $2/$4 players will bet their flush when they hit it but both of your opponents checked. In a standard online $2/$4 game you are going to shown a variety of hands ranging from any random pocket pair to TJo but most of the time your set of Aces will be good.

SpaceAce

Georgia Peach
03-16-2004, 09:22 AM
Thanks for the advice.

I did take the pot. The SB had 67o for a gutshot strt draw and the UTG had AKo (no hearts in any of their hands).

Schmed
03-16-2004, 10:04 AM
I sometimes do the same thing. You wonder to yourself...man what could he be calling with.....then the flush hits....

I just resign myself to calling a raise at this point and more often than not even when raised I win the pot with my trips.