PDA

View Full Version : Make a stand, or wait?

BottlesOf
03-15-2004, 10:46 PM
UB $10 Limit Tourney

Just suffered a tough loss on the previous hand. Down to about T3500 (pretty shortstacked). Blinds are 300 and 600. (stakes 600/1200) There are only 15 people left and we're 7 handed at this table.

I'm SB with AQo. BB blinds all-in. UTG+1 raises (he has plenty of chips), folds to me. What do I do and why?

cferejohn
03-16-2004, 04:34 PM
In a limit tournement? I three bet this against nearly anyone, unless I know UTG+1 is super tight. My spider sense tells me to suspect that your average $10 limit tournament UB player is as loose as a twenty dollar whore on fleet week.

BottlesOf
03-17-2004, 02:06 AM
My thinking exactly. I 3-bet. He capped, I gulped, and knew I was committed to this one.

He ended up beating me with AK.

cferejohn
03-17-2004, 03:11 PM
Doh. Well, the question is "what would he have open raised with". If the answer is "AK, AQ, and AA-JJ only" than this is a fold. If the answer is AK-AT, KQ, and AA-88 (which, absent a read, I would think is closer to the truth for your average $10 limit tournament player), this is a three-bet. Obviously sometimes you are going to run into a hand that beats you like a red-headed stepchild, even if his open-raising standards are really loose.

If you aren't going to 3-bet here, I think I would fold. You'd really like it heads up with AQ.