PDA

View Full Version : slow played set, monotone board

george w of poker
03-15-2004, 08:57 PM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $1 BB (10 handed) converter (http://www.stompandcrush.com/cgi-bin/hhparser.cgi)

SB ($122)
BB ($35)
UTG ($47.30)
Hero ($185.30)
UTG+2 ($48.50)
MP1 ($101.85)
MP2 ($15.05)
MP3 ($40)
CO ($35.45)
Button ($48.50)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG folds, Hero calls $1, UTG+2 calls $1, MP1 raises to $8, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, Hero calls $7, UTG+2 folds.

Flop: ($18.50) 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP1 bets $15, Hero calls $15.

Turn: ($48.50) 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP1 bets $15, Hero calls $15.

River: ($78.50) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero bets $45, MP1 raises to $63.85 (All-In), Hero calls $18.85.

Final Pot: $206.20
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: $206.20, between Hero and MP1.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Hero ($206.20).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows 4d 4h (full house, fours full of threes).
MP1 shows Kd As (flush, ace high).
Outcome: Hero wins $206.20. </font>

i put him on aces or kings because of the preflop overbet, probably without the spade draw because of the small bets he was making. i was planning on pushing this one on the turn if a non spade hit. but, then i caught the full house and the stacks were still too deep to let him call a check raise all in if he is on the spade draw and he is a good player (which i don't know if he is). i think the best play would be betting the turn about $30 - $40 which, if called would make his call in the river with a big pair automatic or if he raises the turn it would be all in

any suggestion?

as it turns out i didn't put him on the right hand and i guess his turn bet should have led me to the hand he did have

SpaceAce
03-15-2004, 09:06 PM
Three to a straight flush on the board and you're slow-playing a set? No matter whether you think he "probably" doesn't have the flush draw, this was not a very bright move in my opinion.

SpaceAce

MasterShakes
03-15-2004, 09:10 PM
If you had him on AA or KK pre-flop, why were you calling a $7 raise with no other callers in on the hand? You don't seem to be getting good odds at all even if you do flop the set.

george w of poker
03-15-2004, 09:19 PM
he had ~$90 left after the bet so i'm getting the odds to flop a set.

Daann
03-15-2004, 09:22 PM
I reckon you should take it down on the flop with a raise, there's all kinds of horror cards (the spades obviously, but also in theory any of the aces, kings or 5s) you could see on the turn that could make you second guess yourself if you put him on a big pair.

george w of poker
03-15-2004, 09:22 PM
well i didn't want to bet and have him raise a lot, just in case he already had the flush, or have him raise his overpair so much that it pushes me out of the pot with the best hand. still, you're right i don't think slowplaying is a very good idea. i was just scared to bet i suppose and the turn bailed me out.

so, perhaps slowplaying isn't the correct subject for the post but rather scared playing.

what about the turn and river plays?

cornell2005
03-15-2004, 09:31 PM
yea you cant just raise hard on the flop in hopes of getting 4 flushes out. sure you might get some of the out, but you waste money vs a made flush and knock out hands you want to stay in like 1 and 2 pair.

plus, if you play it soft, if he doesnt have a flush he going to have a hard time bluffing you out of the pot, since he will fear a slowplayed flush by you.

and by playing it soft you have a better chance of the hand going to the turn and river, allowing you to fill up. if you raise hard, and he has a flush, he might pop you back and you fold. if he doesnt have the flush, he will probably fold. you dont have the chance to be in the dream position of playing a made flush with a full house
so i think raising hard is a bad idea all around

SpaceAce
03-15-2004, 09:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
what about the turn and river plays?

[/ QUOTE ]

I raise the turn. If he has the naked Ace, you want him to chase the flush. If he has the Ace and misses the flush on the river, you won't get any more money out of him unless he is willing to call off a lot with AA on a paired three-flush board.

As for being scared, don't be. Your hand is very powerful and has a lot of outs even if he does have the flush. Bet or raise.

SpaceAce

Daann
03-15-2004, 09:56 PM
I would agree but the raiser put in a 8BB raise after only one limper. Obviously this is player dependent but it does smell like a large pair or AK (and that is what George W put him on). So I wouldn't really fear the made flush here from the AKs, rather the flush draw and overpair.

Let's say you do put in the raise to $45. The worst happens and he goes all in and you put him definetely on the made flush. That's giving you 3:1 odds on the call with a 2:1 chance of you filling up.

All in all, I'd raise the flop and try to take it down now before the next scare card hits.

cornell2005
03-15-2004, 10:08 PM
ok yea, i read the posts before i looked at the specifics of the bets in the hands. in general i agree with my original post, but somewhat agree with your post in this situation.

Daann
03-15-2004, 10:32 PM
Yeah, I definetely would lean towards the check call with the intent of filling up if the stack sizes were a fair bit bigger and/or if the raiser did that sort of raise with AQs and AJs and the like.